Ultrasonic bird repellers

Page 1 of 3

Does anyone have experience in using ultrasonic bird repellers? Do they work or are they just a fancy gadget that actually does very little or nothing?
I need something that won't disturb my neighbours' and rid my large tree of birds. They are making a terrible mess under the tree.
Thank you.
--
Ron P

Too soon old
On 5/22/2010 9:52 AM, Worn Out Retread wrote:

Have you considered a Daisy? I once relocated a flock of geese from my neighborhood with one. They're not as dumb as you'd think: a few plinks in the ass and the whole clan left.
Deadeye

the local constabulary<;-)
Worn Out Retread wrote:

It's a tree. They are birds. That is what birds DO. You nicely provided a place for them to roost, and now you want to chase them off?
Short of cutting down the tree, nothing much you can do that will work on a long-term basis. I'd say get a cat, but their mess is even more disgusting than what the birds leave. Plastic owls, shiny pinwheels, etc, work only until the birds figure out they aren't really a threat. As a kid, we used to put giant nets over the cherry trees so we could at least keep part of the crop from the birds, but it was a major PITA and not real pretty when in place.
--
aem sends...

Yes, it is a tree and they are birds but for some reason there are many times more birds this spring than ever before. We are not feeding them and there is no reason that I can see that they would come to our tree when there are many trees in the neighbourhood that even have feeders attached to them.
The usual number of birds (+ pr -) is ok and not a problem but this is ridiculous.

Chop down the tree.
nb

No way! That tree provides shade for the entire front of the house. It would cost me more for electricity if the tree was gone than it would be to buy another tree or to clean up after the birds for that matter.

Another one of those people who wants nature to bend to their own personal requirments. Duh!! It doesn't work like that. Birds, the tree, the sun, the soil, bird poop, nature, etc, all work in a perfect symbiotic relationship that needs nothing from you. The sun does not quit shining and birds do not quit roosting, eating, and pooping simply because you are inconvenienced.
Now that I cogitate on it awhile, I think your only real solution is to kill yourself.
nb

Yes maybe the human element, in this case, is the intruder?
And if we didn't build artificial things called 'homes' in these hot (or cold) climates and fill them up with things made from petroleum (plastics) from underneath the earth's surface and then tried to maintain temperatures of 70 dgrees F etc. etc. ........ Ecological rant!
On other hand a 'reasonable balance with the natural and avoiding human overpopulation etc. might lead to a more satisfying and fulfilling life of and for all of the world's creatures?
In the overall picture some bird poop seems to be far down the scale! In the same way we complain if some bird 'drops something from on high on our shiny car', rather than make motor vehicles that withstand that natural event.
We have had a moose population here for over 100 years; but with people wanting to drive at over 60 mph. through forested areas, there are now demands to 'Get rid of the moose' (or at least cull them severely). Maybe the problem is too many humans moving too fast and therefore not in balance with the natural state. Maybe we should cull the humans?
Here endeth the ................... etc.
terry wrote: ...

As always, you in the volunteering line yet???
Worn Out Retread wrote:

HIGH FREQUENCY SOUND DEVICES LACK EFFICACY IN REPELLING BIRDS
WILLIAM A. ERICKSON1 and REX E. MARSH, Wildlife and Fisheries Biology, University of California, Davis,California 95616.
TERRELL P. SALMON, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources, University of California, Davis, California 95616.
ABSTRACT: Ultrasonic or high-frequency sound-producing devices are marketed as a scaring or frightening method for bird control. Although inaudible to humans, most birds also do not hear in the ultrasonic frequency ranges of above 20,000 Hz, thus the credibility of advertised claims raises questions. A review of efficacy studies conducted and published by a number of researchers fails to demonstrate the usefulness of such bird control devices.
Proc. 15th Vertebrate Pest Conf, (J. E. Borrecco & R. E. Marsh, Editors) Published at University of Calif., Davis. 1992
Thank you. This is very useful information.
Ron

On Mon, 24 May 2010 10:05:28 -0400, Worn Out Retread wrote:

Has anyone suggested a plastic Owl? I've seen them used around here. In my youth we used to scare pigeons and doves out of the barn with a stuffed Owl perched on a wooden stand. When you walked into the barn with that thing the birds couldn't fly out fast enough.
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

That was you they were reacting to and the movement, not the fake owl. I've both barn and great horned owls nesting in the same hayloft as well as the upper levels of the grain elevator leg house w/ the pigeons--they don't give a hoot (so to speak) about 'em either way...the owls don't bother the pigeons and the pigeons don't interfere w/ the owls.
On Mon, 24 May 2010 09:18:23 -0500, dpb wrote:

I must have walked in the barn thousands of times without the fake Owl and the birds didn't give a shit. They were used to people walking in and out since the barn was used to store tools and hay among other things. Walk in with the stuffed Owl however and they scattered as fast as they could.
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

Differently trained crowd, then... they don't give a crap here about owls, stuffed or the real thing but will scatter on movment. And, the barn here is used daily w/ much traffic as well.
I've always been surprised the owls don't even bother w/ the young 'uns when they're just beginning to move about but they don't.
dpb wrote: ...

Actually, even more surprising to me has been that they also don't have cat (or kitten) on their menu, either...
On Mon, 24 May 2010 13:34:34 -0500, dpb wrote:

We have Red Tailed Hawks around here that love toy dog breeds. A Chihuahua wrapped in a tortilla would be a fine meal for little kiddie hawks.
Jeff The Drunk wrote:

We have them as well as golden eagles and kites but there are certainly no dogs that small that are outside dogs around here. They would simply get lost in the native grasses and never be able to get thru it at least before something got 'em whether it was raptor or rattlesnake or badger or coyote or... .
On Mon, 24 May 2010 14:19:42 -0500, dpb wrote:

The predominant bird of prey is the RTH here. I've not witnessed one snatching up a dog but have heard stories. I'm not far enough out in the wild to worry about other predation but we have some coyotes that would easily outmatch a domestic the same size or smaller. I have a large Pomeranian (16 lbs) and worry about leaving him tied up out back. There are a couple red tails living in the area that have pretty much cleaned out the wild rabbit population. I didn't realize how big a red tail is until you get close to one. I doubt if one could take our Pom, he can be pretty vicious himself, but have no doubt they could easily dine on smaller dogs.