Ultimate DIY

Wow - this story from the NY Times about a tiny mobile house is an inspiration.

I hope you can find it at

or

This young couple really has successfully tackled a problem head-on.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I just watched a documentary on Netflex, called Tiny Homes. There are thousands of people building these. Interesting to say the least.

Reply to
Larry

Mini coopers, GM Smart Cars, mini houses.... the era of prosperity is over.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They're going to grow tired of those little houses very quickly, as soon as the novelty of not having much space grows tiresome.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

What a positive fellow you are...

Reply to
BenDarrenBach

Obviously you haven't priced a MiniCooper or SmartCar lately. They've come a long way from the econobox that was the original mini.

Reply to
rbowman

Mini-Cooper $33.3K

Where does that fit on your prosperity scale?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

ELIO a new car arriving in showrooms early 2015 48 MPG city, 84 highway, purchase price $6800...

Reply to
bob haller

I think your "early 2015" timeframe might be a little optimistic. There doesn't seem to be any mention of a time frame on the Elio website itself. Everything on their website is worded as "planned", "proposed", etc.

The only mention of a timeframe I could find was in the Forbes article where they say the _planned_ production start is "March 2015". Hitting the showrooms in early 2015 seems unlikely.

I do like the concept though. If it really is as safe as they claim, it might not be a bad commute vehicle or a real nice gift for your college aged kids. I'm shopping for a used vehicle right now and you sure can't get much for $6800.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have a fully loaded Sonata Limited with turbo, navigation and every possible option for a little less than that. I think the Mini is a nice little car for $13k or so. I don't see the attraction of them but they have a strong following.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have an aversion to driving a clown car with the crash worthiness of a tennis ball.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Says the guy living in an old "redneck bungalow" Prosperity? What prosperity??

Reply to
clare

In at least one situation if my car had been any bigger than my old mini I would have been dead

Reply to
clare

Mini-Cooper Safety Ratings: Good, Acceptable, Acceptable, Good

Smart ForTwo Safety Ratings: Good, Good, Good, Acceptable

Tennis Ball Safety Ratings: I don't know, but I'll bet that both of the cars you've been disparaging beat them by a long shot.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My cage is a Toyota Yaris. I look at it as the conceptual heir of the original Mini, except it has a lot more creature comforts. The New Beetle is the same thing, an overpriced nostalgia wagen rather than a 21st century embodiment of the concept.

Reply to
rbowman

I like it, but then I wanted a Messerschmitt when I was a kid:

That price sounds unrealistic though. There aren't that many bikes around for $6800. The Can-Am Spyder trike is $15000 and it doesn't have the enclosed bodywork.

Reply to
rbowman

I think you mean "lives in a smart residence".

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Anecdotes do not prove the rule.

There was a statistical professor one time who tried to use anecdotes to prove rules. He drove a Mini Cooper to work, and got run over by a guy in SUV, and died instantly of massive trauma.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Nope. Nothing smart about trying to keep from freezing your ass off in a drafty damp old chicken coop in a Upstate New York winter!!!

Reply to
clare

When you drive a "piss-cutter" you drive a WHOLE LOT more defensively than when you drive a Hummer.

Reply to
clare