Ultimate DIY

Wow - this story from the NY Times about a tiny mobile house is an inspiration.
I hope you can find it at
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/03/garden/so-small-but-already-a-tv-star.html?ref=garden
or
http://tinyurl.com/mf7v5zg
This young couple really has successfully tackled a problem head-on.
HB
On 7/7/2014 9:31 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I just watched a documentary on Netflex, called Tiny Homes. There are thousands of people building these. Interesting to say the least.
On 7/8/2014 9:50 PM, Larry wrote:

Mini coopers, GM Smart Cars, mini houses.... the era of prosperity is over.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 6:38:49 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

What a positive fellow you are...
On 07/08/2014 06:50 PM, Larry wrote:

They're going to grow tired of those little houses very quickly, as soon as the novelty of not having much space grows tiresome.
Jon
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Obviously you haven't priced a MiniCooper or SmartCar lately. They've come a long way from the econobox that was the original mini.
On 7/9/2014 10:18 AM, rbowman wrote:

I have an aversion to driving a clown car with the crash worthiness of a tennis ball.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Mini-Cooper $33.3K
http://www.mininyc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2014-MINI-Cooper_S_Hardtop--New_York-NY/2218686713
Where does that fit on your prosperity scale?
On Wednesday, July 9, 2014 12:50:34 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

ELIO a new car arriving in showrooms early 2015 48 MPG city, 84 highway, purchase price $6800...
On 7/9/2014 12:50 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I have a fully loaded Sonata Limited with turbo, navigation and every possible option for a little less than that. I think the Mini is a nice little car for $13k or so. I don't see the attraction of them but they have a strong following.

I think your "early 2015" timeframe might be a little optimistic. There doesn't seem to be any mention of a time frame on the Elio website itself. Everything on their website is worded as "planned", "proposed", etc.
The only mention of a timeframe I could find was in the Forbes article where they say the _planned_ production start is "March 2015". Hitting the showrooms in early 2015 seems unlikely.
I do like the concept though. If it really is as safe as they claim, it might not be a bad commute vehicle or a real nice gift for your college aged kids. I'm shopping for a used vehicle right now and you sure can't get much for $6800.
On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 07:38:49 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Says the guy living in an old "redneck bungalow" Prosperity? What prosperity??
On 7/9/2014 10:02 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I think you mean "lives in a smart residence".
--
.
Christopher A. Young

In at least one situation if my car had been any bigger than my old mini I would have been dead
On 7/9/2014 10:21 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Anecdotes do not prove the rule.
There was a statistical professor one time who tried to use anecdotes to prove rules. He drove a Mini Cooper to work, and got run over by a guy in SUV, and died instantly of massive trauma.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

Mini-Cooper Safety Ratings: Good, Acceptable, Acceptable, Good
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mini/cooper
Smart ForTwo Safety Ratings: Good, Good, Good, Acceptable
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/smart/fortwo
Tennis Ball Safety Ratings: I don't know, but I'll bet that both of the cars you've been disparaging beat them by a long shot.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

My cage is a Toyota Yaris. I look at it as the conceptual heir of the original Mini, except it has a lot more creature comforts. The New Beetle is the same thing, an overpriced nostalgia wagen rather than a 21st century embodiment of the concept.
bob haller wrote:

I like it, but then I wanted a Messerschmitt when I was a kid:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_KR200
That price sounds unrealistic though. There aren't that many bikes around for $6800. The Can-Am Spyder trike is $15000 and it doesn't have the enclosed bodywork.
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 07:05:07 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Nope. Nothing smart about trying to keep from freezing your ass off in a drafty damp old chicken coop in a Upstate New York winter!!!
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 07:06:51 -0400, Stormin Mormon

When you drive a "piss-cutter" you drive a WHOLE LOT more defensively than when you drive a Hummer.