Uh oh...Hurricane Sandy headed right for me

Page 4 of 4
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 12:38:31 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Dont worry, Obama will save you!!!!
In the meantime, stock up on beer and liquor. It's better to die drunk than live sober.
Is it OK if I send a copy of this to my Bishop?
Dont worry, Obama will save you!!!!
In the meantime, stock up on beer and liquor. It's better to die drunk than live sober.

During/following a storm you can often trade a 6 pack for more than you can get with gold. Added bonus if the beer is cold.
snipped-for-privacy@hurricane.com wrote:

Walmart's computers found that beer and strawberry PopTarts were the highest demand items.
" snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net" wrote:

Use a sharpie marker to write your name on your skin so they can identify your floating corpse during the recovery...
On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 12:38:31 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

What do you all thinlk about my drinking water from the stream behind my house? It only goes another 3 miles west of here, through areas with single family homes. and a few apartments.
Would the only contamination be weed and insect poison applied to lawns and shrubs etc? Wouldn't that be washed off and washed away by October 30?
There used to be little crayfish living in the stream, and nothing much seems to have changed since then, but I haven't been to that part of the stream lately.
I'd suggest it for washing and flushing. But, store up some tap water for food and drinking. Supposedly, girardia is every where. Diarrhea is never welcome, but less so during a crisis.
What do you all thinlk about my drinking water from the stream behind my house? It only goes another 3 miles west of here, through areas with single family homes. and a few apartments.
Would the only contamination be weed and insect poison applied to lawns and shrubs etc? Wouldn't that be washed off and washed away by October 30?
There used to be little crayfish living in the stream, and nothing much seems to have changed since then, but I haven't been to that part of the stream lately.

I'd be more concerned for girardia (spl?) and other wild life parasites. BTW regular purification tables do work on girardia but serious boiling might (don't know for sure). It's bad enough of health folk but kids and those with immune problems can be deadly.

The warning went out DAYS ago that the storm was headed right for you. If I were in your predicament I'd have locked the doors and taken the next flight out of the region. Vandalism? Thefts? Well, that might have happened, but I'd rather have my life than worry about a few possessions.
David Kaye wrote:

Good luck with that. Not only were the flights probably filled, but later flights were cancelled.
One of my employees, during hurricane Yikes, decided to evacuate from NW Houston (elevation 220') to San Antonio. He spent the entire brunt of the hurricane with his wife, baby, dog, and mother trapped on the Interstate not more than 50 miles from home.
With regard to this craziness, my state has adopted some measures to implement in the future (exactly how to do them, they picked up from Florida): * The major evacuation routes will be turned into all lanes one-way. * Gas stations on these evacuation routes will be required to top off their storage tanks prior to the hurricane. * St. Christopher medals will be handed out to all evacuees. (I know, it's silly. But it can't hurt.)
In the instant case of New Jersey, New York, and so forth, I'll bet they've never had to experience such and do not have similar plans in place.
Bottom line: Leaving has its own set of problems.

ANd they added these really wide shoulders to acts as lanes to some of the routes (especially in the Keys) specifically to handle evacuation traffic

...and all lanes go one way.

Florida has another rule, all gas stations on evacuation routes must have generators. They get inspected annually