Uh oh...Hurricane Sandy headed right for me

Page 3 of 4
Oops, round bottoms are bad, too. Ah, well. I guess I won't cram the freezer wtih half liter bottles.
Nope, those half liter bottles do fine in the freezer, the only problem is the bottom rounds out and they won't stand up again, even after they thaw out. They won't ever get back to flat.
We always end up with a couple dozen frozen at the end of hurricane season. I rotate them through the cooler and back into the fridge throughout the winter boating season. A couple in the cooler will keep the beer cold for hours. They are also good if you are packing sandwiches since they don't fill the cooler with water and drown the sandwiches as they melt,
Bought a few things, today. Asked at Dollar Tree, what are the fast movers.
Flashlights, batteries Bottled water Snacks.
On 10/28/2012 6:10 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Wind advisory in freaking Indiana for Monday....Sandy has a long reach. All of you in the way, head for high ground and stay safe.

I'm at the bottom of a valley. A little valley to be sure, maybe 20 feet deep. But when the stream behind my house rises from one foot to 10 feet, it can come within an inch of my property line. I don't think it will ever make it up the 6 inch hill and 3 layers of brick to my basement window, but it does overflow the sewer that was built along the stream, fill the sewer with water and back up into my basement sink**, if I don't keep it plugged, with a piece of wood stuffed between the plug and t he shelf above it.. Sometimes I forget to put the piece of wood in after I do the laundry, but it's in now.
And either one or three of my neighbors, depending on how high the stream gets.
I'm a bit farther east than freaking Indiana. I'm in freaking New York. Maybe I better buy some bottled water, and flash light batteries?
I'm wondering how much damage, trees down, etc? Will see, when it arrives.
Wind advisory in freaking Indiana for Monday.... Sandy has a long reach.
All of you in the way, head for high ground and stay safe.
On 10/29/2012 5:32 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

washed out to sea :o)
We are moving, getting util. reconnected in new home. Hope they haven't sent all the util. workers east from here :o)
I've seen films of the '38 hurricane hitting LI and mainland; fairly awesome. Snow in WV on top of 12" rain? That's rather peculiar. Wonder what Brownie is doin' these days......

I heard on the rado that there are only 20,000 linemen (in the country, I think they meant) and there have been requests for 24,000 from north eastern states. Usually t hey talk about importing linemen and bucket trucks during the outage, but people complained so much during the last one that they started talking aobut it on Saturday, and implied they were already here on Sunday, when I'm sure they won't get here unitl today or tomorrow (tuesday).

"I"m doing a great job" He told me so.

Some crews are in place in CT and more coming. Long drive from the west coast where some are coming from. Until the wind declines to under 40 mph, it does not matter anyway.
CL&P screwed up last October storm so they are being watched closely now. They tried to cheap out, waited, and got caught with the available linemen spoken for by others.
On 10/29/2012 1:41 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I haven't seen it on the news but I'll bet some crews are coming from The Southern Company here in The Southeast to help the Damn Yankees with their little wind storm. ^_^
TDD
And, we'll send you a bill for all the help you sent us. We need the money.
I haven't seen it on the news but I'll bet some crews are coming from The Southern Company here in The Southeast to help the Damn Yankees with their little wind storm. ^_^
TDD

Still sunny here in heathen San Francisco, where God has blessed us once again. Oh, and the Giants won the World Series, too.
On 10/29/2012 4:09 PM, David Kaye wrote:

Back in the late 80's I spent some time in the country of Californiastan and thought it was beautiful country. I worked the state from San Diego to North of San Fransisco. I lived in Berkley for a while and the place was a hoot, it reminded me of most college towns. In the course of my work I traveled the bridge between Berkley and San Fransisco almost daily and would have been on the bridge at the time of day it crushed all those cars during the quake if I hadn't moved back to my home country of Alabamastan. Missed me by that much ' '. ^_^
TDD

The Bay Bridge didn't "cruss all those cars". A panel from the bridge fell down and two cars mistakenly drove off from the upper deck to the lower deck.
You're thinking of the Nimitz Freeway, what came to be known as the Cypress Structure in Oakland. The faulty double-decker construction (by Bechtel), caused the top deck to fall onto the lower deck. When I was a kid I knew it was faulty because I used to beg my parents to drive on that part of the freeway because we'd bounce up and down as we rode along. Turned out that the road had been sagging since its construction in 1958 and the "up" part of our bumpy right was right over the supports. In later years they filled in the roadway with extra concrete to eliminate the up and down motion for drivers. When I saw the videos of the collapse I had a cold sweat because the collapsed upper part looked exactly the way I thought it would -- it was a scalloped roadway just like the ups and downs I'd experienced as a kid.
Photo: http://www.vias.org/physics/example_3_1_11.html
On 10/29/2012 9:37 PM, David Kaye wrote:

Well, it was more than 20 years worth of brain cells ago. ^_^
TDD
On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:00:28 -0500, The Daring Dufas

We also get crews from Quebec too. Problem is, they filled the wires with puissance lectrique
On 10/29/2012 3:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You know we come running when our cousins call for help no mater where you are. ^_^
TDD

Crews from all over Texas are on the road. According to the TV most left either sat or sunday.

Well I guess that is what they meant, and they were only implying that the crews were on the way, not that they'd arrived. And that's fair. My apologies to whomever on the radio I disputed.
I was thinking they were coming from no farther than Teennessee, which wouldn't require leaving so soon.
micky wrote:

It could be a redistribution of assets:
The trucks from Tennessee are going to New Jersey and the trucks from Texas are going to Tennessee.
sday).

This is going to be a little more widespread than that one, too. Indy Power is sending a bunch of trucks to standby in W. Va. for the lines brought down by the blizzards.