UF cable under deck permitted for Pool?

Last week I asked about running UF cable under my deck for a pool filter outlet. I was ready to get the material when someone told me that UF cables are generally not suppose to be used for pool filters and pumps. It's suppose to be in a conduit. The reason is that UF has a "bare" ground, not an "insulated" ground, as is required for pools. Not sure if this is an issue since my situation has the UF cable above ground all the time. Anyone heard of this?

Reply to
Mikepier

News to me. I do know you are supposed to put it on a ground fault circuit. For most pool pumps that will require a dedicated ground fault breaker in a box.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

There are many rules that apply to pool wiring. They can vary wildly depending upon the type of pool, the location of the pool, and the location of the wiring for the pool support equipment. If your pool is outdoors, and considered a "storable" pool, by the NEC, then UF cable is fine to supply the double insulated pump.

Reply to
RBM

Forgot to mention, this is an Intex 8'X30" ring pool, which I guess is "storable".

Reply to
Mikepier

Pretty sure you still need to have it on a ground fault circuit.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Pretty sure you still need to have it on a ground fault circuit.

He definitely needs it to be ground fault protected, but as a storable pool, it can be wired with UF cable.

Reply to
RBM

What kind of pump is it? How is it marked. A storable pool pump says so right on the label. It is cord and plug connected, double insulated and specifically for storable pools. These will usually be taken down in the winter. At that point you only need a garden variety 15 or 20a outside receptacle which still needs GFCI protection. If the pump is not labeled "storable" or it is hard wired into the circuit you have to follow all the regular pool rules. That means wire in pipe with an insulated ground, a bonding grid and a bunch of other stuff..

Reply to
gfretwell

Definitely a storable pool, just be sure you are using a double insulated pump made specifically for storable pools, and you use a GFCI receptacle, or breaker on the circuit

Reply to
RBM

This is the pump that came with the pool.

Although not pictured, mine came with an actual GFCI plug.

Reply to
Mikepier

This is the pump that came with the pool.

Although not pictured, mine came with an actual GFCI plug.

I bought one of those pools last year, and mine came with a standard plug like the one shown. The latest NEC version, requires the pump to have an inline GFCI protector like the one you got.

Reply to
RBM

Since you keep having questions about this issue and aren't sure what to do, it is clear that in this case you should hire a professional electrician who will know what the proper installation requires as well as having a permit and inspection of the wiring which will be added to insure it is actually done properly and not putting people on the deck or in the pool in danger...

~~ Evan

Reply to
Evan