Tyvek® HomeWrap®

The siding on my home is defective and is supposed to be replaced soon, which provides the opportunity to add Tyvek=AE HomeWrap=AE. The contractor says he is using a "green board" which adds just a little "R" value, but not the Tyvek Wrap unless I order it as extra.

What is your opinion on adding the Tyvek Wrap too? I've heard that it helps stop air leaks and thus keeps the house warmer in winter, cooler in summer and reduces heating and air conditioning bills. Others have said it makes a house too tight and can cause mold, and it costs too much. Have you had any experience with this product?

Thanks for your advice.

Reply to
marybeth

at

search for vapor barriers. you need to know climate and construction type amd more to put this info on this very informative website to work for your house.
will browse and find stuff like: DuPont=E2=84=A2 Tyvek=C2=AE=E2=80=94the protective material with more than =

30 years of performance in millions of homes. Wrapping a home or building in a weather-resistant barrier is not just good sense, it=E2=80=99s good building practice. Because it helps combat water, moisture and air infiltration that are any structure=E2=80=99s worst enemies. Allowed to penetrate behind siding, wind-driven rain and moisture can saturate walls, creating a breeding ground for mold, mildew and wood rot. The properties of DuPont=E2=84=A2 Tyvek=C2=AE do not s= upport the growth of mold or mildew. Air infiltrating from outside can create comfort-robbing cold or warm spots while increasing heating and cooling costs. DuPont=E2=84=A2 Tyvek=C2=AE acts like a windbreaker and wrapped over the sheathing and under the exterior siding=E2=80=94cut out around windows and doors and taped securely at the seams=E2=80=94resists air infiltration and water intrusion and makes for a more comfortable, energy-efficient home or building. Whether you=E2=80=99re building new, remodeling or re-siding, ask your construction professional or your home improvement retailer for Tyvek=C2=AE HomeWrap=C2=AE, Tyvek=C2=AE StuccoWrap=C2=AE, Tyvek=C2=AE CommercialWrap=C2= =AE, Tyvek=C2=AE DrainWrap=E2=84=A2, Tyvek=C2=AE ThermaWrap=E2=84=A2, Tyvek=C2=AE AtticWrap= =E2=84=A2, DuPont=E2=84=A2 FlexWrap=E2=84=A2, DuPont=E2=84=A2 StraightFlash=E2=84=A2, DuPont=E2=84=A2 = StraightFlash=E2=84=A2 VF, Tyvek=C2=AE Tape, Tyvek=C2=AE Wrap Caps, and other Miracles of Science in t= he DuPont=E2=84=A2 Tyvek=C2=AE family of products." and lots more at their website.

marybeth wrote:

Reply to
buffalobill

Reply to
buffalobill

It does pretty much the same thing as tar-paper, only better. I think it's too expensive too. I thought greenboard was a sheetrock type product for wet locations like showers, but apparently it's also this stuff:

is a closed cell polystyrene foam.

Tightly fitted foamboard will do a good job of reducing air and moisture movement through the walls by itself. If he caulks the seams, that would pretty much make housewrap irrelevent.

Unless, of course, you're in a place where code requires housewrap even when it doesn't make any sense.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn