Tyvek for roof -- instead of felt?

Why wouldn't Tyvec get blown off as fast as shingles?

OP again.
Since I "know" the people who had the house, I stopped by late yesterday and indeed, the roofers were using a Tyvek product that Red Green posted a link to way at the top of this thread.
Apparently they made a big deal about it in their estimate.
I only saw it from 90 yards away or so, but it LOOKED like the regular Tyvek housewrap with the big Tyvek name splashed all around. Again, follow the link Red thoughtfully provided at the top of the post.
IMHO, I would NEVER allow shingles to be placed without felt (or maybe Tyvek, now....).

It is a membrane material that is glued down. (usually peel and stick)
Grace Ice and water is a typical product although there are cheaper choices.
They also have tougher rules on the shingles. The leading edge on the eave needs to be cemented down, you need 6 nails per shingle and no staples.

The product you saw was likely Permafelt, a plastic film underlayment. It is popular with local roofers because it it light, tear resistant and OK to walk around on. For the DIY crowd, it can stand the weather for several weeks or more. We used on our home place last summer and on a project house too. Far easier to apply than felt and more of a water barrier. There may be other brands...Permafelt is what Menards carries.
Joe
I also saw "Liquid Applied Tyvek" - ie, like a paint
I am intrigued by it but when I needed it last year it was only test marketed in Texas so I had to use elastomeric paint instead.
                 - = - Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist          http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. Everything fully disclaimed.}--- [Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards] [Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]