Tyvek And T1-11 Siding Question

Hi,

In the Spring, will be having new horiz. clapboard put up. Live in New England.

Presently, the house has T1-11 siding.

The contractor suggests putting the new horiz. clapboards right over the existing T1-11, which he will not take off, and also to have a layer of Tyvek between.

Two questions, please.

a. The T1-11, except for some holes, etc. is still pretty flat and in sort of "decent" shape.

Any caveats to putting the new siding directly over the T1-11 ? Anything to worry about if done this way, etc. ?

b. Was thinking a bit about the Tyvek.

Is this a good idea to have between the T1-11 and the new stuff ? Any chance of rot developing on the existing T1-11 by now having Tyvek over it ?

Anything I should also consider asking him, or worrying about, with this approach that I am not thinking of, perhaps ?

Any thoughts on all of this would be most appreciated.

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Robert11

tyvek descriptive answer at:

https://www.dup> Hi,

Reply to
buffalobill

I don't think there is any problem putting tyveck over t-111. in this case think of the t-111 is functioning as the sheathing.

I would worry about keeping water out of the doors and windows. He should have a piece of drip flashing tucked behind the tyveck and directing water out over the window trim or brickmold of whatever.

Reply to
marson