Typical Payment Terms for Painting Contractor

I'm going to have my house exterior painted by a small local contractor who comes highly recommended. I estimate the entire cost at $3,000 to $3,500. What are typical arrangements for payment for projects of this sort? Pre-payment for materials only; 50% up front, holdbacks, etc. ?
- Magnusfarce
--WebTV-Mail-6420-6699 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
I read this group everyday and have found some great information.
Why is it people think they have to pay up front for a professional to work on or in their house. I have lived in my house for 30 years. Have had 2 different roofs put on, siding,plumbing, electrical new AC and heating etc.
Never have I paid one red cent until the job is completed.
I do check with the county to see if they are licensed, comsumer affairs, Better Business see if any complaints, and ask who their suppliers are, check with them to see if the contractor pays their bills timely. Never been stuck yet.
Believe me there are a lot of fly by nights here in Florida willing to take a down payment and run.
I have never been asked for money up front on anything that has been done.
Pat.
--WebTV-Mail-6420-6699 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-6420-6699--