Typical heat pump cost ?

Currently have a 80% gas furnace + A/C (not sure of the efficicency of the A/C) - both units 7-8 years old.

2000 sq ft house in Indiana, decent insulation. Gas prices are going up, electric rates are fairly low here.

Straightforward swapout of current setup for new heat pump, air handler, backup electric coils. Assume 14 SEER.

Done by a reputable licensed local company (many to choose from), not a fly by night.

Is this a $3000 thing, $4000, $5000 ? Just trying to get a bead on it so I can plan ahead. May not even be worth it. Thank you.

Reply to
roger61611

You might first look into keeping more or less what you have and making the best of it.

You can set the thermostant on the low side of being barely confortable and "balance" your system to get places like the bathroom a little more heat and then shutting off registers here and there.

Likewise, a small electric heater to "keep the feet warm" as compared to cranking up the heat to the entire house might make sense.

I take it your have NG on the premises. You might look into a VENTLESS heater for the family room. These approach 100% "efficienty" but they may be illegal or you may have health problems that make it not such a hot idea.

Hey, I'll WAG it and say "about" $5k. I understand it gets COLD up there in the plains so you might look into a ground source heat pump. That might cost $10k or more installed.

If you have friendly relations with your present HVAC guy he might give you an "off the wall" quote.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
John Gilmer

keep the gas furnace for the backup..

replace the A/C with heat pump

don't use electric coils for backup...use the gas furnace you already have for backup.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Another idea. Replace the ac with a heatpump and use the gas as backup heat. It might be cheaper to set up and may even be cheaper to operate.

Reply to
Chris Hill

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 06:46:21 -0700 (PDT), Mark wrote Re Re: Typical heat pump cost ?:

That's the best advice yet.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Ideally, if you have a relatively open concept home or can run your circulator fan at a continous low setting, you might also consider a ductless heat pump such as a Fujitsu 12RLQ (21 SEER and 10.55 HSPF).

The key advantages are:

1) lower initial cost; 2) lower operating cost; 3) ability to spot heat and cool the immediate area where the unit is located; and, 4) a backup heating and cooling system in the event your primary system goes down.

My older 14,000 BTU/hr Friedrich (7.2 HSPF) satisfies roughly 80 per cent of my total space heating requirements and has reduced my home heating costs by about 75 per cent. An ultra high efficiency model such as the aforementioned Fujitsu could theoretically supply nearly

100 per cent of my needs (works down to -15C) and use one-third less electricity.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul M. Eldridge

Get estimates. And go for the 16 seer. My outdoor unit alone runs $2300. Then there's the labor and the inside eq. I'd bet you're looking at around

5k if you buy some decent equipment. And don't forget you may need an electrical upgrade if you're going all electric. you could also consider the heat pump and retain the gas furnace if the electrical upgrade is out of the question. s

Reply to
S. Barker