types of auto batteries

I recently bought a battery charger ---vector model VEC 1095A---at a yard sale. The instryctions say determine what type battery you want to charge, wet,gel, or agm. Would someone please explain the difference? I assume wet is the one you add water to and gel is the kind without caps. Is this right and what is agm? Thanks for any reply
DAGS! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_battery
I recently bought a battery charger ---vector model VEC 1095A---at a yard sale. The instryctions say determine what type battery you want to charge, wet,gel, or agm. Would someone please explain the difference? I assume wet is the one you add water to and gel is the kind without caps. Is this right and what is agm? Thanks for any reply
On 06/25/12 08:10 am, Herb Eneva wrote:

AGM = Absorbed Glass Mat
AGM and Gelled-electrolyte batteries are unspillable and do not have caps.
Most (perhaps all) automobile batteries are wet, but not all wet batteries are designed to have water added. Our Chrysler's battery does not have removable caps.
Perce
On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 09:41:18 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"

VIRTUALLY all automotve batteries are wet. Optima are AGM - there are a very few other brands available on the aftermarket - no OEM that I am aware of. Never heard of a GEL automotive battery.
On 6/25/2012 2:47 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I believe that you are correct about the Optima being the only AGM (at least the only popular one) but there are many motorcycle and ATV batteries that are AGM....even Wal-Mart's are. You pour the acid in but you can never pour it back out nor will it spill as it is absorbed by the glass matting.
Don

I am not aware of a single true AGM battery that is shipped dry.ALL AGM batteries are sealed and valve regulated (holding pressure) and recombinant (do not produce hydrogen and oxygen under normal conditions of use) They are also "starved electrolyte" which would preclude filling by the end user. And I've been in the automotive/electrical field for a LONG time
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Herb Eneva) wrote in 3172.bay.webtv.net:

There best info on the 'net is found here: http://http://batteryfaq.org /
That's the site run by the famous Bill Darden.
--
Tegger