Type of wire to air conditioner disconnect

I'm helping install a mini-split AC. The manual says I need 10 gauge wire to an outdoor disconnect switch. I've two questions:
1. What does the NEC say about the min height of the disconnect switch when mounted to the wall outside? I know I need 3ft clearance in front of it, but not sure about minimum height.
2. I haven't decided which to run (MC or NM cable) from my main panel to th e outdoor disconnect switch, but regardless, when it gets outside of my hou se, what does the NEC say about how the cable should be run? I assume in m etal or plastic conduit? Any other allowable alternatives?
All advice, and NEC references, appreciated. Thanks Theodore
On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:22:18 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

e to an outdoor disconnect switch. I've two questions:

en mounted to the wall outside? I know I need 3ft clearance in front of it , but not sure about minimum height.

the outdoor disconnect switch, but regardless, when it gets outside of my h ouse, what does the NEC say about how the cable should be run? I assume in metal or plastic conduit? Any other allowable alternatives?

The disconnect needs to be within reach. Commonly a level similar to the to p of the unit but just to one side.
What alternative did you want? The plastic conduit pigtails are available with wire in them from the big box stores ready to hookup. That's the simp lest.
On Tuesday, June 10, 2014 3:49:51 PM UTC-4, jamesgang wrote:

ire to an outdoor disconnect switch. I've two questions:

when mounted to the wall outside? I know I need 3ft clearance in front of it, but not sure about minimum height.

o the outdoor disconnect switch, but regardless, when it gets outside of my house, what does the NEC say about how the cable should be run? I assume in metal or plastic conduit? Any other allowable alternatives?

top of the unit but just to one side.

e with wire in them from the big box stores ready to hookup. That's the si mplest.
Agree. IDK any specific height reqt. I would put it at a convenient height. In many cases the height is dictated by where it's convenient for the wire to comes out from a basement, crawlspace, etc. Typical it's Romex from panel, through the rim joist to the disconnect. Then liquidtight from the disconnect to the condensor. At my house that results in the disconnect being about 18" off the ground and it passed. Could have made it higher, but then it wouldn't be a straight shot through from the basement. As JG says, you can buy the whips in a couple std lengths, with wires in them already at a price that's typically less than buying the conduit, wire, fittings se parately.
trader_4 wrote:

Hi, I got every thing I need from HD. I mounted the switch at about 30" up from the ground. For me that was convenient height.

Mine is mounted right on the AC unit
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Hi, I remove shroud of condenser coil to clean. Coil is totally exposed. With it mounted on the unit, that will be inconvenient when time to clean the coil???

Not on mine - the shroud comes off in peices, with the cover for the connections staying on 'till the end. If I need to disconnect the power to the disconnect there is a pull-out in the panel in the garage.