type of sander

Need to refinish 300 sq foot deck. Takes too much time with my palm sander. Should I get belt or rotary sander? Frank middle GA
Frank Thompson wrote:

If you've never used them you could turn your deck to hash. Rent a plate sander from Home Depot...they look and act like a gigantic palm sander.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

What do you do about the screws that stick up above the surface of the wood, and whose heads are full of paint?
Smitty Two wrote:

The same thing you'd do with any type of sander...sand regardless or set them lower. (BTW, screws can be hammered :)
--

dadiOH

Why is it that with every damn job, it's the preparation that takes the longest? OK, maybe mowing the lawn is an exception. The decks I put in where I live were never painted. It's wood. But at the good house where she lives, the painted decks are starting to peel, and damn if there aren't about 1000 screw heads sitting proud of the surface, and either painted or buggered up, at that.

While renting sounds like a good idea, you might look for a commercial rental outlet as opposed to Home Depot, e.g. Taylor Rental.
http://www.taylorrental.com/home_page.asp They may have more options than Home Depot.

What kind of wood?