Type of pipe for Propane

I know that for Natural gas, galvanized pipe can not be used because the gas causes the zinc to come off the inside of the pipe and that clogs orfices. So, black pipe is needed. Generally for propane, copper tubing is used in my area. However, I want to hook up a small hanging garage furnace and will have about 5 feet of pipe cross over in mid air, between the wall and the furnace. I want a more solid material used in that spot, because of the mid air piping, and also because this furnace is meant to hang by chains and will likely tend to move a little from wind when I open the door. I can see that copper flexing and eventually leaking. The solid steel pipe seems better, and I can put 1 ro 2 straps to the pipe to solidify it. I plan to just use the same material for the whole run, because of dielectric issues of mixing steel and copper. This will be 1/2" steel pipe. Normally I'd just buy black pipe, but I have enough brand new galvanized pipe on hand to do the job, and I always try to use what I have, if it will work. Does anyone know if galvanized pipe is affected by propane? If not, I'll use what I have.
I'm not sure about propane, but I know that a local natural gas company tech told me they now allow galvanized pipe because of some additive in the fuel. If you find out you can use galvanized, or if you use black pipe, I suggest that you install a flexible (corrugated) gas line connector near the unit, and hang the unit on some type of approved shock absorber. If you hang the unit properly I don't see any problem with soft copper.

Chains? Are you sure it is not supposed to be threaded rod on hangers? Seems to me either way you'd want it solid, not dangling.
I'd use copper or black pipe for piping.
I've seen them hung by chains, but they were usually a long distance from the ceiling. I think strong chains might have an advantage over threaded rod that are more than 6 ft. long. I saw a threaded rod broken once. The only thing holding the unit was the other threaded rod and the rigid black pipe.
wrote in message

Brazed copper is used for natural gas around here.