Type of fire extinguisher for home use?

I have read or seen on TV that one should use fire extinguishers that have a hose attached to the outlet because they are easier to aim. My brother said that a safety expert at his workplace says that one should not use a fire extinguisher larger than a 1A 10BC for home use because larger ones would blow the fire (or burning grease) around.

The only fire extinguishers that have hoses seem to be 3A 40BC or larger. Which type should we get? Thank you in advance for all replies.

-- Whenever I hear or think of the song "Great green gobs of greasy grimey gopher guts" I imagine my cat saying; "That sounds REALLY, REALLY good. I'll have some of that!"

Reply to
Daniel Prince

I think your brother's "expert" needs some training in how to properly use a fire extiguisher. Those small extinguishers may be enough to help you get out of a burning building if you are lucky. Usually, the little extinguishers run out of juice before you might prefer. I would go for the largest capacity you can easily handle. You could also opt for a large one and a small one mounted side by side.

Reply to
salty

I agree.

I hope your brother misunderstood the safety expert. It has been my experience that the discharge RATE or "strength" is about the same for the smaller units as it is for the larger ones.

Get the larger one. In fact, based on FIRST HAND experience, I highly recommend that you get as large an extinguisher (ABC-type) as you can. The larger models are of a higher quality, too.

The little ones are just that: Little. They are too little to be effective on all but the smallest fire. You would be surprised to learn how quickly they empty.

In the case of my aforementioned first hand experience, a "little" fire extinguisher made a very nice, small "hole" in the fire. This conflagration required the fire department but convinced me of the LACK of effectiveness of the small extinguisher. They have their place (RV, boat, kitchen wall, etc) but, if you are purchasing your first extinguisher, you should get a large one and keep it in a central part of the home, near an exit.

Good luck. I hope you never HAVE to use it.

Reply to
Jim Redelfs

Don't start a fire and save a lot of trouble.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

I have no idea how size relates to use, but if one of the little ABC extinguishers doesn't do the trick, it seems, then I best get out and wait for the FD.

One of the small ones did the trick when a small child found a lighter, lit a piece of paper, and dropped it.......the burning paper caught the drape on fire, and that is when adult discovered it. A few seconds later and it would have been a situation of "get out now".

Throughout school and employment, I've attended safety sessions which have included how to use an extinguisher. Awfully valuable info, IMO. You don't aim INTO burning liquid because you want to avoid splashing it. You aim across the top so's to kill the O2 supply at the surface.

Reply to
Norminn

Just hope that you aren't in a situation where that little bitty

1A10BC fire extinguisher isn't up to the job of getting you out of there and saving your life. I'm only required to have 2 small fire extinguishers on my sailboat. I have 3 bigger ones. One at each end of the boat and one near the center, 4A60BC.

It was already time to "get out now". Everyone should have gotten out FIRST before making any judgement about whether to fight it yourself. You are correct that it is often a matter of seconds between oops, and death.

Reply to
salty

Yes, being in the bow of a sailboat when the center goes would be unpleasant.

I don't recall, but I think it was "dial 911, grab extinguisher, wake the rest of the family". This was a four year-old who had wakened to get a snack. He tried to put out the paper, but got scared and crawled in bed with mom and dad.

Fire department followed up and gave him some more instruction.

As to the mention of a pan of grease burning, it is better to put a lid on it if possible. It would be shooting gobs of smoke and grease into the air, which can flash over.

Reply to
Norminn

I have several small ABC Kiddie fire extinguishers. Most are mounted near an exterior door. I have one in the kitchen, basement shop, garage, and truck. The pressure dial shows the extinguisher has pressure and should be periodically inspected. An open box of baking soda near the stove is very effective for grease fires. The thing to keep in mind is to have the extinguishers ready and easily accessible. Hopefully, you won't ever have to use one.

Reply to
Phisherman

Take a peek at your fire extinguisher. Aim at the base of the fire; using sweeping motions.

That was the was I was trained in office safety classes.

The other was to use the correct type for the fire - ya don't put liquid type on and electrical fire....

Reply to
Oren

Here's another good tip: Every month or so, take each extinguisher off its bracket and shake it vigorously until you can hear the powder moving inside. If they hand for long periods, the gauge will still say they are good, but the powder will haved settled itself into a solid lump and the extinguisher will not work.

Reply to
salty

Do you have a link? One that suggest; this, shaking vigorously?!

TRUMP Tower in Las Vegas opened Monday. Can you imagine the money to be made shaking fire extinguishers monthly...!

Reply to
Oren

Trump Tower is stocked with dry powder extinguishers?

I don't have a link. This is something that I've known for many years, and I've heard repeated many times. Maybe the website for Kidde or some other major manufacturer mentions it.

Reply to
salty

Just for yuks, I just googled:

"shake" "extinguisher"

See what you think!

Reply to
salty

Which brings up a point that has been missed so far. If you are going to fight a fire with an extinguisher, do it with your back to the door and monitor your escape route. Things can go sour in seconds.

Keep your fire extinguishers near an exit, so you won't have to go deeper into the building to get one. You might also keep some sticks and a bag of marshmallows there, so you'll have something to do while waiting for the fire department.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

Not stocked full, but they must have some. Why pull a hose pipe fire hose for a trash can fire :-)) I suppose a roaring trash can fire will set the sprinkler off.

I did find mention of shaking on San Bernardino FD, CA site. The first I read about it, except your mention of it.

This shaking, as part of the maintenance is not mentioned on my units. It gives other things to check for, but not mention of shaking the fire extinguisher. They ought to fix that!

Reply to
Oren

It takes a lot longer then a month for the chemical to compact to a non flowing state. Follow the instructions on the label that contains the listing mark. You only need to take it off of the hook once every six months. You then simply invert it and wait for the powder to fall loosely to the top of the cylinder. You can feel the powder drop. Do not pound or shake! If the powder doesn't fall loose on it's own the extinguisher should be serviced or replaced. Turn the extinguisher right side up and put it back on the bracket.

Reply to
Tom Horne

I like to turn the dry chem types upside down, and shake the heck out of them to keep the powder loose. Makes me look like a nut, I'm sure.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Stormin Mormon

You can always throw empty fire extinguishers in....

Yer right, about watch your exit, and be ready to bail out. With dignity.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The old soda acids, you had to turn em upside down to operate. Some folks don't know the new way. Turn upside down, and the dip tube (now at the top) draws off the pressure.

Now days, extinguishers are used with handles and nozzles at the top.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon