type of copper to use to repipe house

Page 1 of 3
I need to repipe my house. I have plumbing running through slab and it developed a leak. Rather than repair the pipe in the slab and risking another leak, I'm going to abandon the slab plumbing and run pipe in the walls and ceilings. I've heard some contractors tell me that I should use type 'L' pipe while others tell me type 'M' is fine. Can anyone tell me the advantages and disadvantages of either pipe and their experiences with repiping a house. any help appreciated. Ron

copper pipe presents health hazards
pvc pipe doesn't
consider using pvc (cpvc for the hot water)

Are you sure? You whine about every other plastic and now you say this is OK?
The only safe way to get water is to take a glass container to the well in the center of town and lower it in. Don't use a wooden cask as it can harbor bacteria.
If I was going to re-do plumbing, I'd consider Pex.
On 1/29/2005 4:44 AM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Google - pvc +cancer -
--
Bill

snip Effi uttered:

Good one Bill. Effi might as well check out now before all the carcinogens and poisons get her/him/it.
Effi - get in that canoe and take a long trip to a tropical island and relax. Forget all about us and the industrial world. You'll live longer.
Yeah, over the next 30 years while this is all being sorted out, I'll take comfort in drinking water from copper pipes. No suspicious organic chemicals like PVC present. And I appreciate the fine quality of the municipal water supply, and its annual report.

wrote

you should educate yourself on the health problems caused by copper plumbing

Education is a good idea effi. Can I suggest you get some?

you are confusing occupational exposure to pvc (i.e. unprotected workers who make pvc - more profitable for the owners) with pvc used in plumbing
pvc used in plumbing presents no known health probems; though pvc is itself toxic, after being in use 3 weeks water delivered by pvc is free of any pvc
copper, on the other hand, used in plumbing definitely presents health problems to humans (noting per http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/plumbing/msg121241107300.html "However, my own dog had cancer and he was allways given water from the tap in the kitchen with copper pipes.")
google copper pipe cancer
copper pipe also causes schizophrenia in humans, as well as other problems, already covered in depth in this newsgroup and now available in the google archives
google is your friend
On 1/29/2005 11:45 AM US(ET), effi took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

I'll have to wait until tomorrow. I've already Googled a few things today, and I read on the internet that too much Googling can cause cancer.
--
Bill

appears you are confusing cancer with carpal tunnel syndrome
you might want to google that also tomorrow

You missed one effie, that CRT is going to give you brain cancer You have to check these things out.

I thought too much googling makes you go blind.
bill a
effi wrote:

health
the tap

Here's a more complete quote, which implies something quite different:
"However, my own dog had cancer and he was allways given water from the tap in the kitchen with copper pipes. He also had good healthcare and a reasonably varied diet. Many things in our environment can increase the risk of cancer, but for most who develop it no single thing caused it, instead the effect was an accumulation of many things working together. Unfortunately there are no certainties in life, anybody regardless of age, lifestyle and environment can get cancer."
In other words, anecdotes of single events are often not very good at proving causality when so many other factors come into play.

"Copper has well-defined hazards. Plastic is still under investigation and it will be a long time before the hazards are as well-known as copper."

problems,
google
Well, I googled "copper pipe schizophrenia" and the first few hits seemed to be written by extremist wingnuts, so I quickly got bored with it. Googling simply "copper schizophrenia" revealed that in addition to excess copper, INsufficient copper is a factor and that in some individuals elevated copper was not a cause but an _effect_ of their genetic predisposition (Wilson's disease).
So myself, if the water's been sitting for a few hours or more, I don't trust ANY pipe not to leach nasties into my water, plastic or metal. Before I use any water for drinking or cooking, I make sure I've flushed a toilet to clear any standing water in the lateral from the main up to the house, then run the faucet for enough time till the water feels cold. It's no extra effort because there's usually something to flush in the toilet* and there's usually a dish to rinse or some hands to wash in the sink.
*we conserve via the "yellow, let it mellow; brown, flush it down" method except when company is there.
%mod%

it was a verbatim quote, you are not offering a more complete quote, you are simply quoting more

no, the text you quote indicates the copper was a contributing factor to the dog's cancer, and, in fact, mentions no other known causes of cancer regarding the dog's cancer (unless you consider the "good healthcare and a reasonably varied diet" cited to be carcinogenic)
the point was made the dog was not given water out of a plastic garden type (outside) hose but was given water from an inside faucet fed with water through copper pipe and the dog got cancer

again, the quoted data mentions no other known causes of cancer for the dog, just the copper
it is abundantly clear you have not read all the previously cited information on this issue of copper causing cancer
you are also trying to imply the data available that copper can cause cancer is wrong
you are wrong

translation: no hazards with pvc (assuming you quote "plastic" as relevant to, or meaning, pvc), which is what the available data says
if you can't show data to the contrary, your position to the contrary is based on nothing, and it means nothing

you didn't "google copper pipe cancer" (you googled "copper pipe schizophrenia" and "copper schizophrenia"), then you compared your googlings to "google copper pipe cancer", you are a failure at reading comprehension

all unnecessary with pvc pipe
enjoy your copper if you must, it's very unhealthy, and can cause cancer (numerous links posted to substantiate this, research it yourself further, no additional info will be offered since it's already here, you just haven't read it)

Effi,
How did you come to be such a dumb bitch, anyway? Did it happen overnight, or, was it more gradual?
I take offense to Effie not plonking modervador. Effi's response indicated one was coming but when I scrolled to the end - nothing. We've all been plonked by Effi for saying nicer things than modervador. Again, I am upset.
Personally I think The dog actually ate a lab rat............don;t lab rats cause cancer?
( dog aint gonna say if he eats anything outside the supplied diet either,..........They sneak chocolate when you're not looking too!)
Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply
MUADIB

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a5_211.html "Chocolate is the third most common cause of poisoning in dogs. Certain chemicals in chocolate, notably caffeine and theobromine, can cause erratic heartbeat and in large enough doses can kill your pup."

MUADIB wrote:

lab
That's it, then. The dog snuck chocolate, the dog got cancer, therefore chocolate causes cancer. You heard it here first, folks.
%mod%