tx sprinkler system

A small segment on the news the other night indicated that sprinkler systems in the state of Texas may increase dramatically after Jan 1, primarily because of new state regulations. Or is it Federal regs?
Anyone have info about this?

Lawn sprinklers or fire sprinklers? Some areas of the country are considering requiring new homes to have fire protection.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Some already do; I believe Montgomery County, MD is one of them and several in VA will follow soon.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Hendserson, NV requires new construction to have fire sprinklers when the home is a certain square footage. I'm not certain of the sq ft number.
trailer wrote:

It's actually lawn sprinkler systems. You have to have the system engineered with drawings by a professional. Just pay a lot more ($400-800 average) for paper shuffling. Oh, and to save water ;-)
-- larry / dallas

Nice way of telling you that you should not have a sprinkler? IMO, I'd rather have sand and cactus if I was in TX. I never water my lawn here no matter how hot and dry it gets.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Unfortunately, everyone things TX is all sand and cactus. The reality is that is really only West Texas, and there is plenty of green and trees in most of the rest of Texas.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I see you're in New Haven, CT (where the average rainfall is 52 inches). The average precipitation in Houston is 54 inches. I wish I lived in a semi-arid area like you.
HeyBub wrote:

Actually SBC/SNET is in New Haven, CT. I believe Ed is more towards Vernon, CT, not that it makes much difference climate wise.

coast. We're in the cheap corner of the state.
My daughter lives in Las Vegas. Idiots from the east move there and plant green lawns just like here. Now they wonder why it is getting humid and the water table is dropping.

Have her visit snwa.com. They paid me to remove my grass lawn (2/3 of lawn as I saved some turf - for the pets). After removal and a new Xeriscaping. The Las Vegas valley has doubled in population since I came here. Reports recently say we use less water now. My water table must be 385' in the elevation of 2500' (?).
Given the big picture of Lake Mead - things aren't bad, at all.

She only has a little lawn in the back but maybe it is time to be rid of that too.

It has been worse. http://www.lasvegassun.com/photos/2008/mar/12/3357 /
Last couple of times I was out to the Dam it was the lowest I've ever seen it, but the first time I went it was near the highest.
sorry-I did mean lawn sprinklers.
trailer wrote:

It's actually lawn sprinkler systems. You have to have the system engineered with drawings by a professional. Just pay a lot more ($400-800 average) for paper shuffling. Oh, and to save water ;-)
-- larry / dallas
trailer wrote:

It's actually for residential fire-suppression in all single and two-family new construction. And it's not just Texas - the new regulation is part of the International Residential Code and applies to all jurisdictions that subscribe to the code. (Texas is one such jurisdiction. Your neighborhood, city, state, or country may be another.) The new rules take effect in 2011.
http://www.ircfiresprinkler.org/