two types of fence contractors

I'm shopping for contractors to replace a wooden fence.
There are two types of fence contractors: one specializes in building fence, the other is a general contractor. The fence contractor usually hire a lot of cheap laborors, use the quickest way to fastern the fence together (nail guns).
The general contractors usually claim they do higher quality work and charges more (perhaps 50% more) than the fence contractor.
How do you decide which is the better deal in the long run?

ask the fence contractor for some references. i would likely use him, because thats all he does.........
but it might be me........
check BBB too.
We needed chain link i found the fence contractor was the best deal and its been fine for over 10 years now. i couldnt buy the tools and DIY it for what he charged.
just be there to supervise the installation, wierd stuff comes up.