Two TV's showing the same thing?

Hi,

We are remodeling the kitchen, and the stove and the sink are pointing in different directions. My wife likes having the TV on and occasionally glancing up (when Ross and Rachel get it on). Is it possible to have two TV's and have the picture between them synchronized - when the TV is both in the TV mode and when playing a DVD.

(Perhaps if the first TV had a Video-OUT...)

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

You don't tell us enough. The answer is yes. When we get more info, we can provide more help. E.G. The obvious answer is to put splitter on the signal sources, whatever and wherever they are, and feed both TV's from whose sources. When you tell us that won't work, and why, we may then be able to give you some useful information. Or:

starrin

I would think a laptop with a DVD player and video capability would work well if you hook to a TV video in.

Reply to
SBH

I'm guessing he was referring to a DVD recorded show to display on two screens simultaneously. If my assumptions are correct, the splitter for an incoming source will not work. He would need a DVD player hooked to two video display sources.

Reply to
SBH

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 11:41:52 -0500, against all advice, something compelled "SBH" , to say:

I'd just put a flat screen on the ceiling.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

It's just as easy to split out the dvd output as it is the cable or sat .. Unless you're talking about a tv with the dvd player built in.

Reply to
Steve Barker

They do this all the time in stores that sell tvs. Use one tuner, and use the tvs as monitors.

Use a vcr as the tuner and redirect other inputs into it.

Or put one tv on a rotating disk which is motorized and has a motion sensor so it follows the viewer. This will save energy.

Maybe a mirror could be used too.

Reply to
Jimw

Easy, if you are feeding them from a satt or cable box, or from an EXTERNAL DVD player- just 'Y' the feed cables. If you are going OTA using TV tuner, not so easy with consumer equipment. You could always buy 2 identical TVs, and hang a small mirror beside them, so when you used the remote to turn one on, the other would come on also. Or maybe buy a $10 VCR at the thrift store, use the tuner in that, and just use the TVs as monitors, again with a splitter cable.

Small flat monitors are getting pretty cheap. You could always stick a tuner card in a spare PC, and pipe the picture all over the house. In fact, the line between low-end TVs and high-end monitors is getting pretty fuzzy. Half the monitors I saw at Sam's Club this morning, had TV tuners built in.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

My setup has all the signal sources (cable box, DVR, DVD, etc...) separate from and TV and connected to a modulator using channel 90 (otherwise unused here). All TVs set to channel 90 will show the same thing. A cheap ch3/4 modulator could be used instead if cable TV channels weren't present also.

Also, it's better NOT to post through Google. A lot of people have it filtered out.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

One reason to avoid combinations - they're less versatile.

Audio/video splitters are available (although I don't know about HDTV).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

A VCR will not work if the DVD contains certain "protection".

How about a DVD RECORDER (be sure to get one with an ATSC tuner if you use antenna)? It plays DVDs fine, and tunes TV channels when not playing a DVD.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

A switch box with 2 inputs (or 2 a/b boxes face to face) would handle it. VCR (for the tuner) and a DVD player, side by side, into switch box and then out to TVs, used only as monitors. If the TVs have aux inputs, don't even need switch boxes- put the DVD players on RGB cables, and run the VCR into the RF inputs, or second set of RGB inputs, if the TVs have them.

I just went through all this rationalizing the TV wiring at my father's place. Satt, DVD/VCR, and converter boxes. Unfortunately, each TV has different jacks and capabilities, so the remotes in each room work differently, and he has to press different buttons on the remotes in each room to do the same thing. We went through it multiple times before he got comfortable with it.

Even here in my house, it is all a royal PITA, especially if I want to route the sound through the AV receiver for watching DVDs and such. I don't want to use the AV receiver all the time. VCR, DVD, Satt, Converter box. I'm too poor/cheap to buy all modern equipment and set up a home theater with one of those huge remotes, so I'm trying to fake it with my old junk. And there STILL is very little worth watching, which makes expending the effort to trial-and-error all of it seem kinda pointless. Even worse than PCs- there are always 2 or 3 plausible ways to get the signal from point A to point B.

Ya know, maybe if all the manufacturers got together, and came up with a standard?

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers