Two stroke motor without ENGINE OIL???

Page 3 of 3
SteveB wrote:
<snipped>

Steve, I couldn't have said it better!
I have a very low tolerance for stupidity, but in an increasingly complex world there are no more "Renaissance Men" and we're all ignorant of far more things than we could possibly be knowledgable about. So, I don't make fun of anybody's initial ignorance of any subjects they shouldn't have learned in public school.
I have no doubt that if iggy had chosen to study the engine more and maybe even disassembled it to see where the internal passages were he would have easily figured out why there was no separate lubrication system.
We're born not knowing everything. Then, we're taught about this

And also, as a friend of mine is fond of telling me. People are not born "good", they are born bad and have to be taught and trained to be good."
Just my .02,
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)

Correct. Do a Google search on 2 stroke engines and see how they operate. The oil mixed with the gas does the lubrication. There was a time (1950's?) that Saab made cars with 2 strokes engines too.
The advantage of 2 stroke is cheap to make, small, can be operated when not level.
Plus it gives twice as much power for a given size than a four stroke. The power cycle comes every 2 strokes instead of every 4.

The first two cycle I saw was a Bultaco Sherpa. A 200cc motorcycle. A local Harley club had a field meet at a dry lake. The Sherpa drew lots and lots of attention. Then, the boys on the Sportsters were challenging it to a drag race. With the incredible acceleration, the Sherpa would hole shot the Sportsters so bad, the Harley riders were embarrassed. Zero to sixty in something like four seconds. If they went far enough, the Sportsters would occasionally catch the Sherpa.
It turned a LOT of heads that day.
Steve

Yes, two stroke gives out more power pound-for-pound, and usually CC-for-CC, but it's generally not exactly double for the same displacement. A lot depends on how it's intended to be used, and what it's been optimized for.
2-stroke, for example, usually emits a lot more unburned gas mixture than a 4 stroke does, given that each stroke does mixed duty - intake and exhaust phases overlap for example (both the gozinta and gozouta are open at the same time).
My small engines instructor custom tuned and raced type 3 two-stroke motorcycles and snowmobiles. Those had _ridiculous_ amounts of power.
[Unlike type 1 and 2 two stroke which do their intake/exhaust control via ports in the cylinder sleeve, type 3 does it with a rotating disk that you can tweak. Very high RPM/power ratings compared to other equivalent size two stroke. Quite rare these days.]
--
Chris Lewis,

Ignoramus1841 wrote:

Hi, You made my day!

Iggy, I think you could rebuild the Space Shuttle singlehanded, and am surprised you don't know this one.
In a four stroke, you have valves. The combustion chamber and crankcase chamber are two separate chambers isolated from each other. The only time they cross over is bad rings, bad valve guides, hole in the piston, excessive wear, bad head gasket, etc. In a two stroke, the gas and oil go on both sides of the piston, and the oil in the gas lubricates the crankcase. Instead of valves, a two stroke has ports where the gas/oil mix moves from one side of the piston to the other. It's exquisitely simple. Google it up and get some diagrams.
Someone like you that has such a knowledge of how things work will get a real kick when you see simple diagrams of how this actually works.
Steve
PS: the router table is doing fine.

Steve, yes, thanks, I have learned something very basic today!

Uh, thats because it's a 2 stroke. Properly cared for they actually last longer than a 4 stroke.