Two Stage Evap Coolers

Local University has the following surplus for sale for $500. I live in a dry hot summer environment and wonder if they are prone to more than the average amount of maintenance/repair. I have about 1000 sq ft of living area
AIR CONDITIONER OASYS CRS 1000, INCLUDES MANUAL, DIRECT/INDIRECT AC UNIT. 69" H X 24" W X 35" D
On Feb 23, 7:27 am, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

If you live in a hot dry area you might find an evaporative cooler cheaper to buy and run. Apart from the fan, no moving parts, little electricity, just uses water http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_conditioning#Evaporative_coolers
I have a brother in Australia who has one, works well.

Clueless as usual, harry. The unit IS an evaporative cooler.....
In article

It's about the same cost as a new single stage cooler, but would tend to eliminate the humidity problem. Question is, is it worth it?

FWIW, There is a "new" CRS1000 currently on Ebay with a Buy It Now of @2995. The user manual at http://www.aurorapower.net/pdf_reference/Energy_Saving_Products/OAsys/oasysownersmanual.pdf says the 1st stage is a "heat exchanger". No mention of a compressor. Claims no CFCs. 2nd stage is same as Evap Cooler. Big pad with blower. Needs water supply & drain. Has elaborate setup to minimize any mold or algae buildup. Looks like some servicing is a 2 man job. I'd be curious what is cost of replacement media pads ( 2 different pads).
In 25 years of running a standard Evap Cooler in Denver CO (90F-100F summers), never had a problem with mold or too much humidity. YMMV.

Yeh, I can't sus how the 1st stage works and it doesn't look like it would be as easy to install as a conventional Evap Cooler...and that doesn't include all the parts/systems that can break