Two questions about granite counters

can't afford either.

Stainless steel grill, sure. SUV? Nope. A 12YO car and a 11YO pickup, both

*long* paid for. I can even afford both houses. ;-)

Green isn't your best color.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Granite was much more expensive than Silestone when we priced it some 12-13 years ago. At least around here.

Reply to
Han

Right, if YOU like it, then get it.

....but.... The people that matter.

It really makes you think. R.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

I thoughty it was marble that got damaged by Coke. And that granite didn't.

For the sams reason that marble tombstones are wearing away ini the acid rain, at least in the northeast, while granite tombstones don't suffer at all.

Reply to
micky

Mountain profiles! Whatever do you mean?

The prices are definitely down, and now that

Reply to
micky

can't afford either.

Any "man" that wastes thousands of dollars on granite for his wife's kitchen needs to grow a pair.

Sheeeeeesssshhh!!!!!!!

Reply to
Manly Mann

can't afford either.

Now, now. Macho doesn't work with some women, especially wives. People spend their money as they see fit. I can see how some might like granite. Or slate. We've got a circa 1959 formica counter in our small kitchen. Square edges, and all in perfect shape. Since my wife likes the look of gray slate, she bought a can of slate gray alkyd paint and painted the beige countertop and backsplash. Looks good, kind of like formica painted with slate gray alkyd. Still perfect after about 8 years, except for a couple tiny spots showing the old formica where she does her cutting board work. Don't know what countertops we'll get when we remodel the kitchen. Probably formica, but maybe not. Only thing I want to avoid is that chipping I've seen in some curved formica. I'll look into all that when it's time.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Marble is quite soft (the reason it's not often used for this application). Coke will rot anything, including apatite (tooth enamel). Carbonic and phosphoric acid are pretty good etches.

Reply to
krw

can't afford either.

No money "wasted" at all. A "man" so worried about what others spend their money is the one who needs a pair. Borrow them, if you can't afford them.

Indeed. You must be a lefty.

Reply to
krw

can't afford either.

Slate? For a countertop? I'd think it would be too porous; dangerous, in fact.

In our VT house, we had formica with a cherry edge. It dressed up the cherry cabinets pretty well. I *much* prefer granite, though.

Reply to
krw

Nope. But good Vermont slate might cost more than granite. Don't know what you mean by "dangerous." Our countertops don't touch food anyway. Pan bottoms, plate bottoms, and cutting board bottoms do. Bare particleboard would work if splashed water and juices didn't wet it and make it fall apart. Any common countertop is easily sanitized with a bleach wipedown.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Downside for us, is that the counter top is extremely unforgiving of dropping glassware/breakables on it.

Up side, best surface ever. And, if you do pastries, don't need a separate 'marble' platter to work on.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Slate is porous, it'll harbor bacteria. Yes, dangerous.

You *never* spill?

Not!

Bleach around food isn't a great idea either.

Reply to
krw

Once again:

If you're unhappy and your wife is not, you're still happier than if you were happy and your wife was not.

Reply to
HeyBub

Nope. That would be granite. Granite is also more radioactive than slate Good formica is less porous than both, and not radioactive at all. Personally, none of this concerns me, since I have formica, but since you wandered into the weeds, I'm here to pull you out.

"The Right Resistance Slate countertops are like granite's obscure cousin. They're both constructed in nature, are shaped from giant stone slabs, and are elegant additions to any home. Plus, they're both hard and heat-resistant, which makes them great in kitchens since they can take some abuse, won't dent, and can hold hot pans without sustaining damage. However, granite is fairly porous and will therefore absorb stains, water, chemicals, and food substances into its surface unless annually sealed. Slate counters, on the other hand, are naturally stain-resistant. Also, they're completely non-porous, which makes them exceptionally anti-bacterial. They can't absorb acidic liquids, food, fats, or chemicals, and therefore they are also mold and mildew resistant without any maintenance."

Said exactly the opposite just below.

So you don't think bare particleboard will fall apart if wetted enough? Go for it.

So you don't sanitize the kitchen? Poor practice. Don't ever believe granite will kill salmonella and other nasties.

Reply to
Vic Smith

Absolute nonsense. Polished granite is not porous at all.

Absolutely irrelevant.

It's too soft and sucks for baking.

Then why do you insist on being an idiot?

Ick. Gave that up for good, the first time we had something better.

Whoopie.

OK.

Not buying it. Water will wet slate.

So you lied just above.

I can't help it if you can't write. Specifically, "I object to: Bare particleboard would work... it fall apart." That's just so much nonsense.

Not while prepping food, certainly not. Not with chlorine, either. Soap and water work fine.

You do have an imagination. No brains, but an imagination, at least.

Reply to
krw