Two questions about granite counters

Mountain profiles! Whatever do you mean?
The prices are definitely down, and now that

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:29:21 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

I thoughty it was marble that got damaged by Coke. And that granite didn't.
For the sams reason that marble tombstones are wearing away ini the acid rain, at least in the northeast, while granite tombstones don't suffer at all.

Marble is quite soft (the reason it's not often used for this application). Coke will rot anything, including apatite (tooth enamel). Carbonic and phosphoric acid are pretty good etches.

Downside for us, is that the counter top is extremely unforgiving of dropping glassware/breakables on it.
Up side, best surface ever. And, if you do pastries, don't need a separate 'marble' platter to work on.

Exactly! And most of them have stainless steel gas grills and two SUVs they can't afford either.
This YouTube clip says it all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0HX4a5P8eE

Stainless steel grill, sure. SUV? Nope. A 12YO car and a 11YO pickup, both *long* paid for. I can even afford both houses. ;-)

Green isn't your best color.
On 6/20/2012 8:31 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

Any "man" that wastes thousands of dollars on granite for his wife's kitchen needs to grow a pair.
Sheeeeeesssshhh!!!!!!!
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 06:01:12 -0400, Manly Mann

Now, now. Macho doesn't work with some women, especially wives. People spend their money as they see fit. I can see how some might like granite. Or slate. We've got a circa 1959 formica counter in our small kitchen. Square edges, and all in perfect shape. Since my wife likes the look of gray slate, she bought a can of slate gray alkyd paint and painted the beige countertop and backsplash. Looks good, kind of like formica painted with slate gray alkyd. Still perfect after about 8 years, except for a couple tiny spots showing the old formica where she does her cutting board work. Don't know what countertops we'll get when we remodel the kitchen. Probably formica, but maybe not. Only thing I want to avoid is that chipping I've seen in some curved formica. I'll look into all that when it's time.
--
Vic

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 06:05:51 -0500, Vic Smith

Slate? For a countertop? I'd think it would be too porous; dangerous, in fact.

In our VT house, we had formica with a cherry edge. It dressed up the cherry cabinets pretty well. I *much* prefer granite, though.
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:02:56 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Nope. But good Vermont slate might cost more than granite. Don't know what you mean by "dangerous." Our countertops don't touch food anyway. Pan bottoms, plate bottoms, and cutting board bottoms do. Bare particleboard would work if splashed water and juices didn't wet it and make it fall apart. Any common countertop is easily sanitized with a bleach wipedown.
--
Vic

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 08:41:41 -0500, Vic Smith

Slate is porous, it'll harbor bacteria. Yes, dangerous.

You *never* spill?

Not!
Bleach around food isn't a great idea either.
On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:05:55 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Nope. That would be granite. Granite is also more radioactive than slate Good formica is less porous than both, and not radioactive at all. Personally, none of this concerns me, since I have formica, but since you wandered into the weeds, I'm here to pull you out. http://www.servicemagic.com/article.show.Slate-Counters-An-Easy-Going-Granite.14979.html#ixzz1ySIctQ4j "The Right Resistance Slate countertops are like granite's obscure cousin. They're both constructed in nature, are shaped from giant stone slabs, and are elegant additions to any home. Plus, they're both hard and heat-resistant, which makes them great in kitchens since they can take some abuse, won't dent, and can hold hot pans without sustaining damage. However, granite is fairly porous and will therefore absorb stains, water, chemicals, and food substances into its surface unless annually sealed. Slate counters, on the other hand, are naturally stain-resistant. Also, they're completely non-porous, which makes them exceptionally anti-bacterial. They can't absorb acidic liquids, food, fats, or chemicals, and therefore they are also mold and mildew resistant without any maintenance."

Said exactly the opposite just below.

So you don't think bare particleboard will fall apart if wetted enough? Go for it.

So you don't sanitize the kitchen? Poor practice. Don't ever believe granite will kill salmonella and other nasties.
--
Vic

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:18:23 -0500, Vic Smith

Absolute nonsense. Polished granite is not porous at all.

Absolutely irrelevant.

It's too soft and sucks for baking.

Then why do you insist on being an idiot?

Ick. Gave that up for good, the first time we had something better.

Whoopie.
OK.
Not buying it. Water will wet slate.

So you lied just above.

I can't help it if you can't write. Specifically, "I object to: Bare particleboard would work... <unless> it fall apart." That's just so much nonsense.

Not while prepping food, certainly not. Not with chlorine, either. Soap and water work fine.

You do have an imagination. No brains, but an imagination, at least.

No money "wasted" at all. A "man" so worried about what others spend their money is the one who needs a pair. Borrow them, if you can't afford them.

Indeed. You must be a lefty.
Manly Mann wrote:

Once again:
If you're unhappy and your wife is not, you're still happier than if you were happy and your wife was not.

Looks like it is missing the tube that does the actual counting. If it is just the converter and power supply, it won't work without the tube.
--
Best regards
Han