Two heater/AC units and two thermostats

We're about to close escrow on a new house that has two forced-air heater/air conditioner units and two thermostats. I don't quite see how this is going to work.

One unit is for the master bedroom, guest room, and their bathrooms, I'm told, and the other unit is for the rest of the house (one story). The house is L-shaped, with the master bedroom, and one thermostat, at the end of one piece, and the guest bedroom at the end of the other piece. The thermostat for the rest of the house is right at the corner of the L.

Is this going to be comfortable? How do we set the thermostats up for this? I'm told we'll save money with the two-zone system, but I'm having trouble seeing how.

I assume I should start warming the bedrooms up from the night setback earlier than the rest of the house, to warm up the bathrooms and make it easier to get out of bed. And I can start the night setback earlier for the bedrooms, to start them cooling down for sleep.

What about running the two at different temperatures? The master bedroom has 8-foot double doors and the guest room has a regular-sized single door, so I think there won't be a lot of mixing. There are returns in both of the bedrooms, too. The returns for the rest of the house are nearer to the L, in the center of the house.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Shafer

First thought....got to be an engineer...

:)

Why dont you see how this is going to work?

The thermostats are located near the return air grilles right?

I didnt design it...I dont know. If the thermostats are located properly, yes.

Any way you want.

Explain? Do you have problems understanding how two units can heat and cool the area better and more efficently than one?

Setbacks..LOL..waste. If that trips your trigger, do anything you want...again...as long as the returns and thermostats are located near each other, you wont have a problem.

There lies your problem. I cant see exactly what you have, and it would be pointless to try to explain it, but if you do not have a thermostat reading the return air temp in the area that you are trying to heat or cool, then its going to be a bit on the trial and error side to find out what works. I would never consider a layout as you have described. Now, you also didnt give near enough information on the home to give you more than WAGs about how its going to operate. Up to 2500SF we have found that a properly sized unit, with two returns and one thermostat, controlling one unit works fine. In Southern CA, we never would have done that and zoned it instead. Central return for each section of the home, with a thermostat located nearby.

Reply to
*CBHVAC*