Two Faucets in Shower? Still Legal?

Page 4 of 4
-On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 2:23:24 PM UTC-4, DerbyDad03 wrote:

nt

set

rent.

aves

ns

first comment doesn't hold water. (pun intended)

water" doesn't mean they suffer from diminished brain capacity.

ow I wouldn't. So, if my resources were such that I could absorb the initia l and incremental cost differences of tanked vs. tankless hot water without feeling any pain, I'd do it in a second.

ead of couches. We could cook over an open fire instead of on a gas range. The fact that we spend more than we actually *need* to on things that make our lives more enjoyable doesn't (always) make us idiots.

d more than we can comfortably afford, then the "brain power" argument is v alid.
+1 And so typical. In another thread, Clare calls for me to be censored, but he goes around slamming people as having no brains because they might choose a tankless.
I could see it as being useful in a vacation property or a rental property for example. If you only go there a few days a week, it's not maintaining a tank of hot water. And for vacation rental properties, same thing. When the renters show up, they have hot water.
On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 11:23:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Move to iceland - hot water there truly IS endless - AND free.

If I needed endless hot water, perhaps - but I've NEVER run out of hot water - in a household with 2 daughters, and a standard 40 gallon gas water heater. Growing up with 7 siblings and a 30 gallon electric water heater it took some strategic planning.

mine is a 75 gallon 75,000 btu tank. it supplies endless hot water. my lat tank was 75,000 btu 50 gallons. but they quit making that one..
i know someone who went tankless the entire thing with install cot about 3 grand. and the time to saving money on gas is never
On 7/10/2015 10:23 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That is true, but people put in tankless water heaters for other reasons. Someone mentioned a vacation home where they didn't want a tank heater constantly cooling and re-heating.
On 7/10/2015 12:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
And here's what those tankless fanboys never want to talk about. What happens when the tankless controls fail (and they will) during a shower? Suddenly (with no warning) you find yourself rinsing shampoo out of your hair in 50 degree Fahrenheit water.
No thanks, I'll keep my cheap tank style heater.
And FWIW, I have a 50 gal natural gas water heater and I have NEVER run out of hot water.
On 7/9/2015 10:36 PM, HerHusband wrote:

Wrong.
The temperature of the water out of tank model is constant regardless of the flow rate. Sure you can drain it faster than it can re-heat the water if the flow rate is very high, but that is not the normal case in a properly sized tank heater.
A tankless model could mix cold water with hot water at lower flow rates to keep the output temperature constant (rather than trying to adjust the flame intensity. Maybe some do this.
On Wed, 8 Jul 2015 20:11:02 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I noticed this, and I don't like them because of this. Because you have no control of how much water comes out. . I think I've seen this kind of faucet in gym locker rooms, And they had it in the Hilton I just stayed in, though there one person's use of hotwater probably has no effect on its temperature.

However i didn't realize there were so many problems.
A) I don't know anything about the law.
Besides Hubby's suggestions, and depending on how many places this is a problem, could you replace the shower fixture with a kitchen sink style fixture, whose handle moves in two planes and with which you can adjust both the temp and the volume? I can't remember now seeing them in a shower or bathtub but I saw one in a bathroom sink a couple days ago (of course the house was 30 or 40 years old)
It might be easier, no tile work, for example, to replace the water heater.
My own bathtub/shower doesn't work like I remember it. If I don't want a blast of water, just moderate, I can turn on the hot, and then it takes only a minute adjustment to the cold to change the temperature of the mixed water. It's not bad, but I sure thought it used to work differently and I don't know how it coudl have changed.
On 07/08/2015 10:11 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Tankless water heaters suck and they don't really save money.

That's an inaccurate generalization.
Technically, tankless water heaters "flow", not suck. :)
As for saving money, that depends on the application. If you use hot water regularly throughout the day, you probably won't notice a major difference compared to a tanked model (other than the hot water never runs out). On the other hand, if you have a cabin or rental unit that can sit empty for days, you'll save money by not heating water when no one is using it.
I'm not certain, but I think where I live plumbers are not allowed to install separate valves, but you can still buy them. It sounds like what you need is a real water heater. Then if you do the shower plumbing yourself you can probably switch over to dual valves. But with a decent water heater you might be happy with the old mixing valve.
I can't stand this type of nanny-state bullshit, with regulations stepping in to prevent things that common sense should be preventing.
The red handle provides hot water, hot enough to burn you. Be careful.
PLEASE GIVE ME BACK MY RIGHT TO CONTROL THE WATER TEMPERATURE IN MY HOUSE.
On Wed, 8 Jul 2015 20:17:55 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Why blame safety regulations for your crappy water heater? Or is the valve going bad? With my single handle shower faucets I turn the handle to about 11 o'clock, make a minor adjustment if needed and I'm set to shower. Makes no difference if anyone flushes a toilet, the dishwasher is filling or the other shower is going.
It is also possible the sensor in the faucet is not working properly too. You should be able to set the maximum temperature at a safe level and just turn the handle to full hot and be within showering range. Maybe a slight adjustment for seasonal cold water temperature.
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 5:03:12 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Because the safety regulations are the reason that valve even exists. Without the safety regulations, I wouldn't have to adjust or replace anything, I'd just turn the hot valve a little less or more to get the temperature of water I need.
As for the crappy water heater - yeah, maybe it is not the best, but if I had two-handle faucets, it would be totally fine.
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 12:55:14 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Apparently two handle, old style shower valves are still sold:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Revival-2-Handle-Shower-Faucet-in-Vibrant-Brushed-Nickel-K-16214-4A-BN/100094257
So, I'm not sure it's some safety regulation is the reason you have the more popular single handle type. The single handle ones are the type most people prefer and are going into most new homes, etc. But it looks like you can have what you want. How feasible it is to change it, IDK, that depends, but it's not trivial that's for sure.
I agree you have a valuable point though, and one that you probably wouldn't realize until it's too late. Which is if you have a tankless that can't maintain a constant temperature across the flow rate when using the shower and/or shower plus other draws at the same time, then you will have the problem you describe. If that is happening with just the shower, it definitely sounds like the tankless is under sized. What make/model is it? Also something that should help would be to reduce the flow rate at the shower head, assuming it's not already limited flow.
On Thursday, July 9, 2015 at 1:23:22 PM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:

I'm not sure we can state that's it's "not trivial" without knowing the situation in a given bathroom.
If the shower originally had a 2 handle valve which has been replaced with an escutcheon plate and a single handle, then reverting back to 2 faucets might not be that hard at all.
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/smitty-plate-one-hole-three-and-a-half-inch-specs.png
Granted, if there is only the single hole in the existing wall, no easy access to the plumbing, etc. then things do get a bit more complicated, but I don't know that we can make the "not trivial" assertion without more information.

On Monday, September 8, 2008 at 3:13:53 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

____ I prefer single handle(sinks and tubs) because I am terribly dyslexic and always grab hot for cold faucet or vice versa. But to deny someone a two- handle setup is just communist, if you axe me!
On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 9:07:18 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Not being dyslexic, I would like to ask, in a kind and serious manner:
If your malady causes you to grab the opposite faucet handle, does it not cause you to turn the single handle in the opposite direction than intended?
9:33 AMDerbyDad03 wrote: "- show quoted text - Not being dyslexic, I would like to ask, in a kind and serious manner:
If your malady causes you to grab the opposite faucet handle, does it not cause you to turn the single handle in the opposite direction than intended? "
Sometimes.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Depends on which version of the UPC your area is using. Best to call your local code office:
http://mcadamsplumbing.com/two-three-handle-faucets-illegal/