Two ceiling fans on a single control?

Unfortunately, no. They have one box where the original light switch was. When the ceiling fans were installed, the original switch was replaced with one of those double switches that puts two small SPST switches in a single box.

Only one box for both fans. Simple on/off control. They currently have to turn on the wall switch, then use the pull strings to control the fan/light operations.

I'd like to eliminate the pull strings and install a wall control.

To complicate matters, the kitchen light switch is directly behind the fan switches. So they both use shallow boxes to fit back to back in the 2x4 wall.

They live an hour away from me, and I haven't looked at the fan circuit in years. But based on the operation, I'm guessing it either has two 14/2 wires, or a single 14/3 wire.

Yes. Old house, no insulation, easy access from the basement and attic. Pulling wires isn't a big deal. We're rewiring the whole house anyway. I'd just like to avoid cutting into the plaster/lath if possible. It always seems to turn into a bigger project. :)

Obviously, if I can't find a single control to run both fans, I'll just install a 2 or 3 gang box and use standard controls.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Single wide box (single gang).

It's where the original light switch was before the ceiling fans were installed.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Anthony, even if you find a single control for both fans, it would not fit in your "1/2 depth" outlet box. seems you'll have to make other arrangements. Is there perhaps a 'kinder, gentler' place to put the new box (wood rather than lath)?

lee h

Reply to
lee_houston

"IF" I could find the single control for both fans, I would be willing to relocate the box on the other side of the wall in the kitchen. This would let me use a full depth box in the living room.

We cleaned and painted the living room a few years back and it still looks nice. I hate to tear into that unless I have to.

The kitchen is still in dire need of improvement, so a patch in the wall wouldn't look out of place there. :)

Still, it seems like the only real solution is to replace the single gang box with a double or triple box.

I'm thinking a triple box which would let me use three slider controls. One for the lighting, and one for each fan. Simple generic stuff I can pick up at any home center.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband