"Twisty" fluorescent bulbs

Page 1 of 3

These bulbs are supposed to last much longer than incandescent types. I have had several of them give up the ghost way too soon (the last was a Philips brand). Has anyone else had this problem?
---MIKE---

Mine don't last very long either. Doesn't matter, they do have a 7 year guarantee, so I keep calling the 800 number and they mail me new ones. I think the reason they really don't last as long as they say that they do it because the alleged lifespan is under ideal conditions, and under ideal conditions a flourescent is on all the time. I try to only use them in places where the light is on a lot. In places like hallways and outdoors where flourescents aren't going to work good I use regular incandescent bulbs.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Compact fluorescents with outer bulbs over the tubing usually work well outdoors. They can take several minutes to warm up when it's cold, and even start off-color when it is cold, but I find them to get to close to full brightness in several minutes. My favorite here is the 18 watt Philips EL/O ("Outdoor"). Besides taking cold well, I have found it to have especially long life.
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 08:38:11 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote:

I've installed several of them in my fixtures in the past year, and none of them have died yet.
Andy comments:
I use them in the summer time when I have to have air conditioning.
In the winter time, I replace them with 100W incandescents.....
Andy in Eureka, Texas

I'm going to try the above strategy as well since I live in north Missouri and winters are cold here.
Do you buy just the reg incandescent? Not halogen or anything?
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Andy comments:
It doesn't matter. Electric lights are 100% heat, as they require no outside air to come intot the house to emit energy. I like a lot of light. In the winter, they supplement my heat --- In the summer , they oppose my air condx...so I minimize the sources.
Twenty five cents for a 100 watt bulb is a good space heater. Even cheaper, joule for joule, than space heaters.... If you like halogen, get halogen --- it all ends up as heat energy after it bounces off the walls a dozen times.... Whatever is the least expensive, tho the differences in cost are minimal.
Andy in Eureka , registered PE and retired engineer

Agree
But do you advise on using 100 watt bulbs and not something smaller like 60 watt?
Again..... my goals is to use same strategy as you.... use incandescent bulbs abs heater/lights in winter.... and the swap to CF lights in summer.

Interesting. Having more energy-efficient light bulbs doesn't help you when you need heat.
Of course, I live far enough south that it's too hot most of the time.

Mark Lloyd

Unless your source of heat is less expensive than electric heat. If that's the case, it still pays to use efficient bulbs.
Bob

Yes, I was supposing the people know of the inefficiencies associated with electric heat.

Mark Lloyd

Agree
But here in north Missouri its cheaper to heat with electric zone heating right now than it is a forced air furnace
May not last for long as electric rates go up tho
Mark Lloyd wrote:

Don't confuse economy with efficiency, they are two different things. Electric heat is very efficient, but it's usually not economical based of the current cost of electricity vs. gas or oil.
Pete C.

The process is inefficient. Don't forget that electricity has to be made.

Mark Lloyd

May be but its actually cheaper to heat with electricity where I am right now than use natural gas
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 20:46:02 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Hydroelectric? I seem to remember hearing about that being cheaper where available.

Mark Lloyd

I used to be. I remmber when I first moved to Seattle, a landlord saying "And the heat is all electric - so it's cheap". Those days are long behind us. The concept was totally alien to me that day.
Bob

If your hiome has gas or oil heat, chances are it will cost less to use that than electric heating.
snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Not sure I agree with that. Maybe
What abt the zone heating that one does with electric lights as heat source?
usually you will need light in the room you are in....so by using an incandescent bulb as both light and heat you zone heat this way
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:57:47 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Be sure to close the door to the room, so the light won't escape.