Twisted extension cord

Page 3 of 3
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:15:57 -0600, Vic Smith

If I ever fall out of an airplane, I hope I have a drop cord with me. It is going to hang on something.
On Monday, December 3, 2012 12:15:57 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

People who arm-wind cords are the lowest form of life on the planet.

Yes, you do. Then you need some expensive overcomplicated contrivance of a contraption that doesn't exist to address a trivial problem that could be easily solved with a slight change in behavior.
Oh, but there are 1000 excuses why he can't just untwist the damn cord before he winds it up. He probably blames the cords, calls them junk.
Top posting arm winder, reporting!
People who arm-wind cords are the lowest form of life on the planet.

If you use the one over one under system, you can tell if the cord/wire has a little extra twist to it, and correct it before adding that loop to the rest of the bundle. As gf, I have electrical lines, and cordage that has been around a very long time, and looks fine. I have also seen guys go through a cord or a long piece of rope in one season.
And not to mention the fun of untangling a 250 ft. piece of anything.
Steve

I know, I am the same way with lines on my boat. I can take a 50' line off the rail, pull the eye out and shake it out on the deck, perfectly usable.
http://gfretwell.com/ftp/lines.jpg
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:36:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I wrap my cords around my hand/elbow, but I'm careful to leave the opposite end straight away from me and unplugged. This allows the end to turn as I'm 'winding" it up, removing almost all of the twist. I do hoses in a similar fashion, winding them on the hangar with the opposite end free to twist.

YES HUMAN HANDS

The way you store a cord is the secret. There is a coiling method where you take one loop in one direction, and another loop in the other, and when you pull on the end, it comes off with absolutely no spiral. I can take 100' of wire rope, and coil it using this method, and with one person holding one end, and another person holding the other, pull it straight, and there will be absolutely no spiral to twist either person's hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSxhjzFMKiM

The other way is to figure 8 it laying on the ground. It will have no coiling to it. Trouble is, storing the figure 8. It can be laid on the ground, or three pieces of cordage used to tie it, one in the middle, and one on each end. We used to loop 600' lengths of diving hose using the figure 8 method. It lets the line pay out easily, too, as only the top loop comes off each time. It MUST be tied after the figure 8 stacking to keep it from tangling.
The coil method works well in conjunction with a metal tire wheel on a post. Weld the wheel about four feet off the ground. Make big loops that come down to about four inches from the ground. It is easy to pull one coil off at a time.
Steve

He uses a cord reel that looks like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Extension-Cord-Reel-Wheel-No-KW-130-/330771695936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d03878940
Except that it is yellow instead of orange. Could using this type of cord reel cause a cord to become VERY twisted in a few years?
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orange-Extension-Cord-Reel-Wheel-No-KW-130-/330771695936?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d03878940
Go take yer meds.
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 22:29:50 -0800, Daniel Prince

It will become very twisted if he spools it up by turning the spool and then just pulls it over the edge of the spool instead of unspooling it. That is the problem with this type of spool

And also why I do not own any reels, spools, etc, and have no problems with storage of cordage or electricital cords. The world of home repairs is awash with gizmos to do things that a lot of people do not have the common sense or intelligence to do themselves.
Steve

Can't say I have problems with cords, just use a little common sense. I can't use a cord if I has a knot. I got to untangle others messes.
I got to check out my Xmas light run to back yard. About 200 feet of cheap cords. The cords remain out all year. Got to check for deer issues. Warm today, but busy. I usually go for freezing cold, wet, or snowing weather to check things out.
Greg

This is not rocket science. He just needs to observe when and how it got twisted and undo that move. But some people prefers to fix old things, and some prefers to buy new ones. Let him choose.
It seems a little wasteful, but nothing compared to people who buys a new computer when the old one got infected.

Was helping my pastor move. I noticed an almost new 100' extension cord about as round as your finger in the trash can. Heavy duty. It had a slice about three feet from one end. "Can I have this?" .......... "Sure." $7 for a repair. Nice cord.
Some people.
Steve
You screwed over a priest? Huh?
A Christian would have put a plug on, and give the cord back.
Was helping my pastor move. I noticed an almost new 100' extension cord about as round as your finger in the trash can. Heavy duty. It had a slice about three feet from one end. "Can I have this?" .......... "Sure." $7 for a repair. Nice cord.
Some people.
Steve

Which Christian would that be, Chris? The same one who complains about letting a fellow Christian into a storeroom at the church, because the fellow mistakenly assumed that the "master" key didn't fit that particular lock?

Who might that be?
Slightly similar to the Christian who asked some ideas to know when to help versus decline. I don't remember reading of anyone complaining about that kind of thing. You'll have to remind me. Be specific, please.

Which Christian would that be, Chris? The same one who complains about letting a fellow Christian into a storeroom at the church, because the fellow mistakenly assumed that the "master" key didn't fit that particular lock?

I see you as a harmless enough buffoon, Chris, who leads a modestly miserable life. But your top-posting constitutes a huge "FUCK YOU" to everyone else in the room, who have agreed to a workable and logical bottom-posting convention. It's a passive-aggressive act of violence, and only one of many examples of your behavior that rarely reflect any christian values.