Twisted extension cord

We have an understanding. She denies that there is anything wrong with her cord anyway. The electricity still comes out the other end. ;-) I am phasing in some cord reels to stop all of this and the next time I get a free day I am putting in another power post out in the yard to eliminate some cord length needed. I came up with a 50 foot automatic rewind 12ga reel and cord with a handle on it, a hanging bracket and I have hooks on the power post to hang it on, plug it in and run with the cord. That seems to be working out where it reaches, hence the new post. .

Reply to
gfretwell

wrote

If you use the one over one under system, you can tell if the cord/wire has a little extra twist to it, and correct it before adding that loop to the rest of the bundle. As gf, I have electrical lines, and cordage that has been around a very long time, and looks fine. I have also seen guys go through a cord or a long piece of rope in one season.

And not to mention the fun of untangling a 250 ft. piece of anything.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I know, I am the same way with lines on my boat. I can take a 50' line off the rail, pull the eye out and shake it out on the deck, perfectly usable.

gfretwell

He uses a cord reel that looks like this:

Except that it is yellow instead of orange. Could using this type of cord reel cause a cord to become VERY twisted in a few years?

Reply to
Daniel Prince

I remember that

might have free hosting. Typed that by memory, so I'm probably mistaken.

"Am I my brother's extension cord keeper?" Paraphrasing Cain.

.

I think my brother's cord is about four times as twisted as the one on the right. If I take a picture of it, what free photo sharing site can I use?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Daniel Prince" wrote

Go take yer meds.

Reply to
Steve B

Doubt it.

He twists it up when he starts at one corner of the lawn and mows around and around and around until he gets to the middle.

Every round puts another twist in the cord.

If he starts at one edge, mows back and forth, turn left at one end, then turn right at the other, then he will NOT twist the cord.

The simplest solution is to untwist the cord after every mowing session, but it sounds like this guy ain't all that bright...

Reply to
dennisgauge

People who arm-wind cords are the lowest form of life on the planet.

Yes, you do. Then you need some expensive overcomplicated contrivance of a contraption that doesn't exist to address a trivial problem that could be easily solved with a slight change in behavior.

Oh, but there are 1000 excuses why he can't just untwist the damn cord before he winds it up. He probably blames the cords, calls them junk.

Reply to
dennisgauge

It will become very twisted if he spools it up by turning the spool and then just pulls it over the edge of the spool instead of unspooling it. That is the problem with this type of spool

Reply to
gfretwell

Top posting arm winder, reporting!

.

People who arm-wind cords are the lowest form of life on the planet.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I wrap my cords around my hand/elbow, but I'm careful to leave the opposite end straight away from me and unplugged. This allows the end to turn as I'm 'winding" it up, removing almost all of the twist. I do hoses in a similar fashion, winding them on the hangar with the opposite end free to twist.

Reply to
krw

And also why I do not own any reels, spools, etc, and have no problems with storage of cordage or electricital cords. The world of home repairs is awash with gizmos to do things that a lot of people do not have the common sense or intelligence to do themselves.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Can't say I have problems with cords, just use a little common sense. I can't use a cord if I has a knot. I got to untangle others messes.

I got to check out my Xmas light run to back yard. About 200 feet of cheap cords. The cords remain out all year. Got to check for deer issues. Warm today, but busy. I usually go for freezing cold, wet, or snowing weather to check things out.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

This is not rocket science. He just needs to observe when and how it got twisted and undo that move. But some people prefers to fix old things, and some prefers to buy new ones. Let him choose.

It seems a little wasteful, but nothing compared to people who buys a new computer when the old one got infected.

Reply to
bob

Was helping my pastor move. I noticed an almost new 100' extension cord about as round as your finger in the trash can. Heavy duty. It had a slice about three feet from one end. "Can I have this?" .......... "Sure." $7 for a repair. Nice cord.

Some people.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You screwed over a priest? Huh?

A Christian would have put a plug on, and give the cord back.

.

Was helping my pastor move. I noticed an almost new 100' extension cord about as round as your finger in the trash can. Heavy duty. It had a slice about three feet from one end. "Can I have this?" .......... "Sure." $7 for a repair. Nice cord.

Some people.

Steve

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Which Christian would that be, Chris? The same one who complains about letting a fellow Christian into a storeroom at the church, because the fellow mistakenly assumed that the "master" key didn't fit that particular lock?

Reply to
Smitty Two

Who might that be?

Slightly similar to the Christian who asked some ideas to know when to help versus decline. I don't remember reading of anyone complaining about that kind of thing. You'll have to remind me. Be specific, please.

.

Which Christian would that be, Chris? The same one who complains about letting a fellow Christian into a storeroom at the church, because the fellow mistakenly assumed that the "master" key didn't fit that particular lock?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I see you as a harmless enough buffoon, Chris, who leads a modestly miserable life. But your top-posting constitutes a huge "FUCK YOU" to everyone else in the room, who have agreed to a workable and logical bottom-posting convention. It's a passive-aggressive act of violence, and only one of many examples of your behavior that rarely reflect any christian values.

Reply to
Smitty Two