Twisted extension cord

Page 2 of 3
Sell the twisted cord for the metal content?
I wondered how long till someone suggested a gasoline mower. Can you imagine how twisted his gasoline would be?
I hope he gives the old one to Goodwill Industries. Lots of people would be happy to have a twisted extension cord.

Even if the cord is so badly twisted that the insulation is pulled off in places?
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
On 12/1/2012 4:54 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:

FORGET FLAT CORDS. They will twist much more than the round ones. I don't think you will find any anymore as they are NOT acceptable by OSHA standards.
I've tried chaining cords (not bad), reels (surprised he's having problems with this), 5 gallon buckets, etc.
This is what I've tried the last 4 years. There is a special way to roll up round cords. There is a bit of a learning curve involved, but it is dead simple once you get it. I've made my guys use this method and the cords are in great shape. It involves reversing the twist of the cord every loop, it is demanded of anyone in the entertainment business. There are plenty of youtube movies, but it would be even better if you can get someone to show you:
Here are two explanations: I understood the first one easier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?vmuVvwdd5F0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLwwB29uQRg

___________________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . Dan G remove the seven
Per DanG:

I used to coil them the same way and uncoil them the same way.
Worked OK, but once I learned about reversing the twist at every loop I changed over and never looked back.
One advantage of reversing the twist at every loop is that, with a little practice, you can throw the package - holding one end - and it lays out flat.
Works with rope too. I do it with the lines on my outrigger canoe and just throw them out on the beach when I'm rigging.
--
Pete Cresswell

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 14:54:04 -0800, Daniel Prince wrote:

I assume it twists when he wraps it up?
Sailors for centuries have been twisting the line counterclockwise as they loop the line clockwise.
In addition, I assume the cord is detachable?
I would connect the male and female ends, and then halve the length, doubling the cord over without any twisting - until the bound length is about a foot or two.
On Sunday, December 2, 2012 12:31:29 PM UTC-5, Danny D. wrote:

Doubt it.
He twists it up when he starts at one corner of the lawn and mows around and around and around until he gets to the middle.
Every round puts another twist in the cord.
If he starts at one edge, mows back and forth, turn left at one end, then turn right at the other, then he will NOT twist the cord.
The simplest solution is to untwist the cord after every mowing session, but it sounds like this guy ain't all that bright...

I have found some rotating electrical outlets on eBay. If I put one of them in a box with a short power cord, would it reduce the amount of twisting? I would make it so that the rotating electrical outlet would face out rather than up. My brother would plug his extension cord into the rotating electrical outlet and if we are lucky the outlet would rotate instead of the cord twisting.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 01:27:49 -0800, Daniel Prince

Won't work. The twist is on the ground and will never reach the rotating outlet. A rotating adapter near the mower cord that hangs off the ground would work. Haven't seen one. This is really silly. The only way the cord can be set with a twist is he doesn't remove the twist when stowing the cord. It's not rocket science. You have to whip out the loops to get rid of the twist before stowing.
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 04:40:29 -0600, Vic Smith

I have 2 identical cords here, one is mine, one is my wife;'s. Hers is twisted up so bad it is virtually unusable. She does it by wrapping around her arm (hand to elbow) then pulling it straight out.
I am careful to wrap and unwrap mine the same way every time and it looks new.
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:36:47 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I can't recall seeing a badly twisted up electrical cord, and I've seen plenty of cords. Probably forgot. You can see the hand to elbow technique doesn't work first time you try it. It's fast, that's all. You almost have to purposely reject common sense to get a cord all twisted up.

Keep your wrist straight. Works fine.

The OP's goal seems to be "looks new".
--
Dan Espen

I have one 25' extension cord that I inherited from a organzation that I am involved with. It needed both a plug and a socket so they just bought a new cord and were about to toss the old one in the garbage. I grabbed it and repaired it, but I rarely use it because of the "badly twisted up" nature of it.
I think it was wound up via the hand to elbow method so many times that the outer insulation is all screwed up. The extension cord is kind of bumpy, like the internal wires are twisted or something. It's the only cord I've ever seen in that condition. Maybe I'll take a picture of it and post it.
Other than that one, I have more extensions cords than any homeowner has to right to own! Right now I'm using three cords for my christmas lights and I still have more than enough for any projects that I might need to work on. I've still got three in the garage, a couple in the shed and one or two in my workshop. I'm not sure where they all came from, but I can't resist a good extension cord deal at a garage sale and have no problem accepting a broken cord if all it needs is a plug or socket.
I've got a 40' 12g and a 10' 12g than came from some rich guy that threw out a 50' cord - on a reel - because he cut the cord about 10' from the end. For the price of a plug and socket, I ended up with 2 practically brand new cords that I've been using for more than 10 years. When my son was a teenager doing odd jobs, he was helping some guy clean out his garage. When the guy said to throw out the cord, my son knew a good deal when he saw it. He put it on the side of the junk pile and then put it in my car when I came to pick him up. Smart kid!
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:15:57 -0600, Vic Smith

Here they are
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/cords.jpg
On Dec 3, 2:30pm, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That one on the right is more or less like the one I described in my previous post. I can still roll mine into a circle, like the one on the left, but you can see how the outer jacket of the one on the right is twisted, causing permanent ripples in the cord.
It's just plain ugly!
P.S. Thanks for saving me the trouble of taking a picture of mine. ;-)
Eek! You sure can tell which one is which.
Thank you for taking the effort to photo, and post the photo.
I am careful to wrap and unwrap mine the same way every time and it looks new.
Here they are
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/cords.jpg
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 14:30:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Wow. Why doesn't she throw hers away and just use yours? You keep it locked up?
On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 19:36:28 -0600, Vic Smith

We have an understanding. She denies that there is anything wrong with her cord anyway. The electricity still comes out the other end. ;-) I am phasing in some cord reels to stop all of this and the next time I get a free day I am putting in another power post out in the yard to eliminate some cord length needed. I came up with a 50 foot automatic rewind 12ga reel and cord with a handle on it, a hanging bracket and I have hooks on the power post to hang it on, plug it in and run with the cord. That seems to be working out where it reaches, hence the new post. .
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I think my brother's cord is about four times as twisted as the one on the right. If I take a picture of it, what free photo sharing site can I use?
--
I remember that www.tinypic.com might have free hosting. Typed that by memory, so I'm probably mistaken.
"Am I my brother's extension cord keeper?" Paraphrasing Cain. http://bible.cc/genesis/4-9.htm