Twisted extension cord

Page 1 of 3
My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They only last two or three years before he has to replace them.
Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent telephone handset cords from being twisted.)
My brother thinks that a flat cord might last longer than a round cord. Is this true? Thank you in advance for any help.
--
When I am in the kitchen, I often kick one of my cat's balls.
After I kick it, he will sometimes play with it for a few
On 12/1/2012 2:54 PM, Daniel Prince wrote:

gathering loops with the other hand and adds them to the bunch in the other.
Each time he makes the loop, he twists the extension cord one time. When he uses the cord he probably just dumps it and pulls on an end. this does not take the original twist out of the cord. Then he gathers the cord using the same method as before and adds yet another twist to the cord.
The solution is to wind the cord on a reel with a crank that is made for extension cords.
If the twist occurs while mowing, the simple solution is to mow the opposite direction next time. Or don't go in circles!
Paul

That is what I thought when the problem first started so I bought him a reel with a crank. He uses the reel and he still twists the cord.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her

Of course, the simple solution is to have him buy a gas lawn mower. No more cord.... Problem solved.
Have you ever tried to untwist gasoline?
Of course, the simple solution is to have him buy a gas lawn mower. No more cord.... Problem solved.
When I had a telephone answering service, we had one of the operators whose cord was always twisted. Observing, I could see that each time she answered the phone, she put another twist in the cord. I tried to show her how to pick up the phone and put it down without adding a twist, but she never did get the picture. I got in the habit of twisting her phone cord in the other direction each time I was there.

That is what I thought when the problem first started so I bought him a reel with a crank. He uses the reel and he still twists the cord.
On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 07:29:04 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

For coiled phone cords there is a simple device that lets the cord swivel, almost totally eliminating the problem - for a couple of bucks.

Such device was purchased, and did no good.

For coiled phone cords there is a simple device that lets the cord swivel, almost totally eliminating the problem - for a couple of bucks.

I got a 100 foot cord which stays outside. Its not twisted. Either up your brother should alter his cutting sequence, and perhaps, do not coil.
Greg
On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 14:54:04 -0800, Daniel Prince

I use tape. Pull the cord out in a straight line. Make a circle and tape, then roll the cord up like a wheel.
Per Daniel Prince:

I can think of three things:
- Think though the pattern he walks when cutting so it does not twist the cord
- When winding the cord follow the technique described here: http://tinyurl.com/d9qrlxt
- When buying a cord, get one with a stripe down it so he can see when it's getting twisted (i.e. he's doing something wrong)
--
Pete Cresswell

Observe his behavior, see what puts the twists into the cords. Help him change his behaviours. Or, stretch the cord out every use, and untwist it.
My brother uses a 100 foot long, 12 gage, extension cord with his electric lawn mower. The cord always becomes VERY twisted. They only last two or three years before he has to replace them.
Is there some type of cord or an adapter that will prevent the cord from being twisted? (I have seen adapters that claim to prevent telephone handset cords from being twisted.)
My brother thinks that a flat cord might last longer than a round cord. Is this true? Thank you in advance for any help.
On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 21:23:18 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

a cord winding rack - basically a "flat spool" - and while holding the rack upright, and unmoving, simply coil the cord onto the rack, To unwind the cord, do the same. Hold the rack straigt and unmoving, and simply unloop the crd off the rack.
100 feet? No problem - not a SINGLE twist. Learned that one winding mic and speaker cords back in high school where I was one of the A/V techs after school. (45 years ago)
I think YOU need a MOTIVATIONAL speaker who PACES back and FORTH in the manner OF A man who is MOWING the lawn. He should WALK the length of THE ROOM and turn around, always IN the SAME direction of TURN, a COUPLE dozen turns, each time he SPEAKS. He should SPEAK once a week, and each TIME roll the MIC cord back ON the FLAT SPOOL. Do you think THAT the CORD would remain UNTWISTED?
There is a very simple way to avoid twisting an extention cord. Get a cord winding rack - basically a "flat spool" - and while holding the rack upright, and unmoving, simply coil the cord onto the rack, To unwind the cord, do the same. Hold the rack straigt and unmoving, and simply unloop the crd off the rack.
100 feet? No problem - not a SINGLE twist. Learned that one winding mic and speaker cords back in high school where I was one of the A/V techs after school. (45 years ago)
On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 07:26:49 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

If someone else helps and does not take care, I need to take some twists out when I uncoil the cord the next week. The secret is to take it off exactly the way it was put on and to throw the loops when you wind it up if it has gotten twisted in use.

The OP has a PERSON who does NOT take CARE when MOWING the lawn, and the CORD gets TWISTED. Same IDEA.

If someone else helps and does not take care, I need to take some twists out when I uncoil the cord the next week. The secret is to take it off exactly the way it was put on and to throw the loops when you wind it up if it has gotten twisted in use.

Electricians use this method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
Ev9wm6gy0
Looks a little ugly and bulky, but never tangles.

*I've used that technique for block and tackle ropes, but never for an extension cord. Most round cords have a natural twist built-in as a result of the manufacturing process. If one takes the time to feel the twist and rotate the cord with their fingers, the cord can be coiled up like it was on the reel from the factory. I also have a 3' piece of 1/4" cotton rope knotted around at least one end of each cord to tie it up after it is coiled. My helpers get this training on the first day of work and my cords have been around for years.
I have one 12 gauge flat extension cord. It does seem to get less kink in it, but it is more difficult to coil.

*Here's an example of the technique that I use:
http://youtu.be/KYXn18mxQok

http://youtu.be/KYXn18mxQok

On Sat, 01 Dec 2012 14:54:04 -0800, Daniel Prince

I hope he gives the old one to Goodwill Industries. Lots of people would be happy to have a twisted extension cord.