TV turns itself off & on ..

Page 4 of 5
On 10/06/2015 06:30 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
[snip]

I had a 27-inch RCA that had problems like that. Push the button to turn it on, and it'll probably turn itself off before the CRT warms up. it could take a dozen or more tries to get it to stay on. That problem was what led to me replacing it with a (larger screen) LCD.
--
79 days until the winter celebration (Friday December 25, 2015 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 06 Oct 2015 16:34:20 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

I'm having trouble with my computer speakers, so I took the wireless speaker from the bathroom and it's right next to my chair. So I'm running wirelessly 4 feet.
Tomorrow I'll try to fix the wired speakers, or the next day.
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 01:03:53 -0700 (PDT), Uncle

A little. Ii used bluetooth with a cell phone to copy the phonebook to my computer and back again. I got a bluetooth dongle from Amazon for $1.69. I bought two brands and one of them worked. The phone was a samsung. Now unfortunately I have an Android that does its best to make you use google to store your settings, and I don't want google or the web knowing anything about my cell phone.

I didn't think Bluetooth went that far. I thought it was 20 feet. At any rate, I buy what's cheap, and Bluetooth didn't even exist when I bought all this.
Originally I bought one pair of RCA wireless speakers at a hamfest. from a professional seller who occupied maybe 1600 square feet in one big building. His price seemed low but I wasnt' sure. I listen mostly to talk, and even music doesn't have to be stereo, so I put one speaker in the kitchen and one in my bedroom. Happy with that, I bought another pair at the next big hamfest and put one in the bathroom and one in the basement.
One of the transmitters was bad, but he gave me another one that wasn't in a box. They have volume and frequency controls on both the transmitter and receivers, but frequency is easy to set.
Later I found one more not in a box at a hamfest and I bought that for outside. And iirc I bought one more that doesn't have a wall-wart, and I bought a wallwart of the right size and just have to put on a plug.
These are like the wireless speakers that used to be sold at Best Buy, but more conservative in styling, and far cheaper.
I think I paid 20 a pair instead of 100 that Best Buy charged. So they really were surplus, and probably cheaper to begin with. Now Best Buy is charging 200 to 400 for a pair. Ridiculous. And I say that not because I'm cheap, but because, If they could make good-enough speakers for 40 or 50 15? years ago, they shouldnt' cost 200 now.
Now there's a pair just like mine on ebay, being sold separately for 35 plus 11 each, 92 dollars a pair, and Amazon has a pair for 300. I paid 20.
I have a stereo in-and-out Y connector in the output from the sound card, and one side goes to the desktop speakers and the other side to another Y connector. Then one side of that goes to the wireless transmitter and the other side goes, depending on what works better, to a balun and some cat6 cable, or to 50 foot RCA cables (and S-Video), to my bedroom where the central TV area is. I just ordered additional parts for that yesterday.

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 8 Oct 2015 09:11:04 -0700 (PDT), Uncle

Do you know what brand you have? There's inexpensive, and then there is that Tmart spam I get, and buy.com, with stuff so cheap I'm sure it doesn't work or doesn't work well.
IIRC, I bought a phone from buy.com and something was missing or didn't work and they woudln't send it to me. They said they only shipped whole items, and I pointed out that they sold this separately, but they still wouldn't send it.

Very good.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 8 Oct 2015 13:01:37 -0700 (PDT), Uncle

Thanks. Looking at it now.

My 32" Sony CRT TV (PIP) started out doing the same thing. It eventually got worse and died, soon after. If you live in an urban area, you might be able to find a repair shop. Otherwise, toss it b4 it becomes too expensive to salvage and get a flat-panel TV. Prolly cheaper than repairing the CRT beast. ;)
nb

Yep. Thanks. Agree. I wasn't planning to pay a repairman to look at this OLD 2006 TV ! from the electronic masters in Mexico. But if I could save it - I'd try. It's a very heavy, very awkward bugger ! .. when I opened it up - a fairly small board & power unit - - the size & weight was all CRT glass. John T.
--- ---
On 10/6/2015 2:10 PM, hubops wrote:

You probably have some electrolytic caps that have gone south in the power supply and/or decoupling for one of the CPU's inside. So, the "power" that the devices (e.g., CPU) see is flakey.
It's probably repairable but probably not worth the money it would cost you (unless you are comfortable doing those sorts of repairs yourself)
On 10/6/2015 3:28 PM, Don Y wrote:

BTW, you may discover that you have to *pay* to dispose of it! If so, see if your municipality has a periodic "hazardous waste" disposal program (first saturday of every month, that sort of thing) where they will take it off your hands for you.
Here, some places charge a flat $10 to dispose of it; others do so by *weight* (so bigger tubes cost more).

I'm in southern Ontario. I believe that the electronic recyclers have some sort of "agreement" ... nudge wink .. They still _pay_ for electronic waste. Hazardous wastes chemicals / batteries / etc have special pick-up dates. John T.
--- ---
On 2015-10-06 6:29 PM, Don Y wrote:

I put a dead 32" TV out on the curb, on a designated pick up date for electronics, it was gone before the garbage guys got there.
It depends where you live.
--
Froz...

Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Yep!
In the San Francisco Bay Area (SFBA), there was place in Berkeley that would take any electronics for free. Here in CO, it's become state law that all electronics must be disposed of by a commercial company. Bring $$$$!
nb

Yep. I like to donate this stuff to the Habitat-For-Humanity Re-Store ... very good folks there - in my experience locally. John T.
--- ---
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 07 Oct 2015 10:10:57 -0400, hubops

I broke the spherical glass shade for a ceiling fixture, and I found one in the Re-Store in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. I asked myself if I really wanted to cart the thing home to Baltimore on the plane, and I decided to. 10 years later, I still haven't seen that size in glass in the store, so I did the right thing.

Our local disposal charges $1 per half inch. That's almost $65 for a 32 incher! 8|
nb

Yikes ! Someone is making money - in your system ..
... and in mine ..
John T.
--- ---

I'd smash or cut it up and bag it, dispose of some each week.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 8 Oct 2015 08:40:05 -0700 (PDT), Uncle

Yeah. That didn't seem like him. Dishonest and all that.

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 2:14:39 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

You are referring to the "later" Radar. Early on, Radar was not such a nice guy.
Channeling a younger Radar, I stole the following from:
http://mash.wikia.com/wiki/Walter_%22Radar%22_O%E2%80%99Reilly
===== "On television, Radar's character started off as worldly and sneaky, a cler k who carried with him at all times a pocketful of passes for any potential scam that might arise. He also sold tickets to the male members of MASH so they could take turns sneaking looks through a peephole in the nurses' showers and also used his camera to sneak pictures of the nurses showering.
He also won over $800 in poker playing with members of MASH and dismantled a jeep and smuggled it home piece by piece. He once conned the entire company of MASH 4077 into buying a pair of wing-tip shoes-although he was once conned himself into spending over $50.00 for a improved writing course by mail-which nearly drove Col. Potter crazy trying to read the daily reports.
He was known for his tremendous appetite for heaping portions of meat. He was also not averse to drinking Col. Blake's brandy and smoking his cigars when the colonel was off-duty. This character was apparently not wholly to the writers' liking and he later became a naive and trusting farm boy, a vegetarian, and cigars and strong liquor made him ill or dizzy. His favorit e beverage was a grape Nehi (non-alcoholic)."
===== There are also rumors that while Radar was (later on) a real nice guy on sc reen, at least one cast member claimed "Gary Burghoff may well have been th e best actor in the company" possibly meaning that the "nice guy act" was n othing more than that. Off camera, Burghoff was apparently not a very nice guy.
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 8 Oct 2015 12:27:59 -0700 (PDT), Uncle

Worked for me.