TV turns itself off & on ..

Page 2 of 5
On 10/7/2015 5:44 PM, bob_villa wrote:

By the time I'm ready to buy, 4k will be far more common. Remember when networks only broadcast in color in the evening?
The curve is supposed to enhance peripheral viewing. I've not done any serious viewing yet. The demo sure looks good though.
On Wednesday, October 7, 2015 at 9:14:14 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

When HDTV came out, it was described as like looking through a window. And when I first saw it, that's what I thought too. When I'm in Costco looking at the 4K demos, now I think that looks like looking out a window. Just shows how you get used to what you have.
AFAIK, there aren't any sources for true 4K yet. I guess regular HD sources are supposed to look better anyway, they upconvert them somehow. Whatever they are using for a demo source sure looks great. I wonder what that source could be?
On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 7:27:40 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:

...you must have me blocked then...

... my brand new $ 600. LG 42 inch LED seems to provide a poorer picture quality than the old 32 inch RCA CRT that it's replacing ! ... could it be the cable ? or something else ? It's fed by a Bell Expressvue satellite dish. Or is it just a matter of my eyes adjusting to the change ? John T.
--- ---
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 08 Oct 2015 11:17:32 -0400, hubops

Check all your connections. What had been a perfect picture from my VCR got quite bad. When I got behind the equipment, I found the F-connector practically falling out of its jack behind the DVDR. Either the outside/ground was barely touching the outside of the jack, or it wasn't touching at all. I thought I put it in right, but it was hard to turn the nut at that angle.
Consider speed adapters/connectors, that screw on to the F-connector and then push on to the jack. Really only needed if you're going to be disconnecting and connnecting, but in this case it would have helped me. They also make right-angle adapters, which can make the connectors stick backwards less, and not hit the back of the shelf.

On Thursday, October 8, 2015 at 11:18:50 AM UTC-4, hubops wrote:

Is the box HD? You're connected to the HD outputs? Via HDMI? Component video?
If you take a standard def source and blow it up to 42", it's going to look poor. An HD source should look excellent on a 42", much better than a std def source on a 32". So, something it's right and I doubt it's your eyes.

Ah ha ! Sorry - I'm a luddite. Is there some sort of conversion device / connector ? It's an old-ish satellite receiver - not HD.. connected with the same <co-ax ?> cable that the old TV used. The receiver also has S-Video and the 3 RCA AA/V jacks. The TV has the <co-ax?> cable ; 5 RCA ; 3 USB ; 3 HDMI. I much appreciate the help - thanks guys. ... to think that I once enjoyed delving into this sort of NEW TOY / NEW TECH stuff ! ? John T. < just another old fart >
--- ---
hubops wrote:

On 10/8/2015 9:43 PM, hubops wrote:

[SNIP]

Don't know exactly what you mean by "the 3 RCA AA/V jacks". You could be describing either 3 {composite video/stereo audio} input sets or 1 {component video/stereo audio} input set. In order of increasing video quality: a. composite (single RCA connector, usually yellow),
b. S-video (small round with 4 pins and a rectangular key to help orient the plug to mate with an s-video socket),
c. component video (3 video cables using RCA connectors, usually blue, green, and violet or red). Some manufacturers use proprietary names rather than "component" to describe this protocol. For example, Toshiba calls it "colorstream".
Connecting cables for each system should be coaxial to minimize signal loss and/or noise from nearby sources of radio frequency noise. Do not use unshielded speaker cables with RCA connectors as substitutes. All 3 video protocols require separate cables with RCA connectors to carry the audio; and when stereo, usually a red/white or black/white pair.
d. As I understand it, HDMI doesn't provide better video quality than component video for conventional (720 or 1080) HD video. I'm not an expert and don't know if that's also the case for 4K video. HDMI connections also provide a stereo audio signal and the ability for two HDMI equipped devices to at least partially control each other, simplifying hookup and increasing user convenience.
Choose the best video signal protocol that is common between your satellite receiver's output choices and your TV's input choices. Unless the satellite receiver or a TV has a defective circuit (or a connecting cable is defective), you should see better video quality using any of the video protocols other than composite video. Although it shouldn't be an issue, I've found that signal quality is sometimes degraded if more than one protocol is used concurrently between the input and output devices (to make quick A-B) comparisons. It's better to disconnect/connect the other protocol's cables, and then switch the input source on the TV. Also, if a configuration option, make sure that your output device is sending a video quality protocol that the TV can use. For example, if the TV can only process up to 1080i, and the satellite receiver (or DVD player, etc.) can be set to deliver either 1080i or 1080p, make sure that they are not set to deliver 1080p. If the TV can only process 720 resolution, no input device should be set to deliver 1080, etc. etc. TVs usually automatically process whatever signal quality they are capable of receiving - depending on their specific circuitry. Many input devices that you connect to a TV do have user-selected settings to choose the output quality (in addition to the multiple jacks on the back) and you want to choose the best quality that your specific TV can use. By the way the "p" (for "progressive") protocol provides double the resolution of the "i" (for "interlaced") protocol.
Hope this helps.
On 10/8/2015 11:17 AM, hubops wrote:

Do you have an HD receiver? If not, the picture is not up to top quality. You should see a definite difference compared to a CRT.

... ahhh .. gulp .. nope. Just an old regular sat receiver .. I got a feeling I'm not finished spending money quite yet .. John T.
--- ---
On 10/8/2015 6:43 PM, hubops wrote:

Bwahaha! When it comes to consumer electronics, you're NEVER finished spending money!
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 08 Oct 2015 21:43:23 -0400, hubops

I have no experience with this, but maybe there's a TV setting for standard definition signals that would improve the picture with the current receiver.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 09 Oct 2015 04:54:40 -0400, micky

I don't mean that the setting would give you HD. Only that it would give SD as good as you used to get. If there is such a setting.
On 10/8/2015 9:43 PM, hubops wrote:

Sorry to tell you, but yes, you need a new receiver and possibly more to get the full HD picture. You may want to contact your satellite supplier to get fixed up properly.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Upgrading sat. receiver may be easiest solution. Or there is other method like using A/V receiver with video upscaling capability. It is a matter of additional cost to get the benefit of full HD viewing.

Yep. Thanks to all. Now I'm looking at .. $ 200 for a new High Def sat receiver $ 75. for the dish LNB upgrade and then I still have my two perfectly fine low def devices VCR and DVD .. ! Geeesh ! John T.
--- ---
hubops wrote:

If your TV has digital tuner built-in, connect TV antenna to the TV set.
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 9 Oct 2015 16:32:54 -0600, Tony Hwang

Good point. Over the air signals are full definition. If they start out as HD, they stay that way. No electronics to compress them.

Yep. if it were up to me - I'd just go for the free TV http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?pq364&cat=3,43597 .. but alas I'm no longer in charge .. John T.
--- ---