TV turns itself off & on ..

Has he tried using a different outlet to rule out a loose connection there? My Sony, if it was on when there is a power interruption, remembers and turns itself back on when power is restored. At least it does that if the power comes back in 5 or 10 mins. IDK what it does if it's longer.

Reply to
trader_4

Not a bad idea .. thanks. I did try a different cord - to test for a faulty power bar - but it was from the same receptacle. John T.

hubops

Yep. I like to donate this stuff to the Habitat-For-Humanity Re-Store ... very good folks there - in my experience locally. John T.

hubops

Yikes ! Someone is making money - in your system ..

... and in mine ..

John T.

hubops

< snips >

Yep - thanks for the reply. John T.

hubops

I'd smash or cut it up and bag it, dispose of some each week.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A little. Ii used bluetooth with a cell phone to copy the phonebook to my computer and back again. I got a bluetooth dongle from Amazon for $1.69. I bought two brands and one of them worked. The phone was a samsung. Now unfortunately I have an Android that does its best to make you use google to store your settings, and I don't want google or the web knowing anything about my cell phone.

I didn't think Bluetooth went that far. I thought it was 20 feet. At any rate, I buy what's cheap, and Bluetooth didn't even exist when I bought all this.

Originally I bought one pair of RCA wireless speakers at a hamfest. from a professional seller who occupied maybe 1600 square feet in one big building. His price seemed low but I wasnt' sure. I listen mostly to talk, and even music doesn't have to be stereo, so I put one speaker in the kitchen and one in my bedroom. Happy with that, I bought another pair at the next big hamfest and put one in the bathroom and one in the basement.

One of the transmitters was bad, but he gave me another one that wasn't in a box. They have volume and frequency controls on both the transmitter and receivers, but frequency is easy to set.

Later I found one more not in a box at a hamfest and I bought that for outside. And iirc I bought one more that doesn't have a wall-wart, and I bought a wallwart of the right size and just have to put on a plug.

These are like the wireless speakers that used to be sold at Best Buy, but more conservative in styling, and far cheaper.

I think I paid 20 a pair instead of 100 that Best Buy charged. So they really were surplus, and probably cheaper to begin with. Now Best Buy is charging 200 to 400 for a pair. Ridiculous. And I say that not because I'm cheap, but because, If they could make good-enough speakers for 40 or 50 15? years ago, they shouldnt' cost 200 now.

Now there's a pair just like mine on ebay, being sold separately for 35 plus 11 each, 92 dollars a pair, and Amazon has a pair for 300. I paid

  1. I have a stereo in-and-out Y connector in the output from the sound card, and one side goes to the desktop speakers and the other side to another Y connector. Then one side of that goes to the wireless transmitter and the other side goes, depending on what works better, to a balun and some cat6 cable, or to 50 foot RCA cables (and S-Video), to my bedroom where the central TV area is. I just ordered additional parts for that yesterday.

Reply to
micky

I have a Sanyo CRT TV that I got just before LCDs became available at reasonable prices. It won't tune digital, but has worked so well on cable I don't want to get rid of it. Possibly when cable drops too many analog channels...

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I had a 27-inch RCA that had problems like that. Push the button to turn it on, and it'll probably turn itself off before the CRT warms up. it could take a dozen or more tries to get it to stay on. That problem was what led to me replacing it with a (larger screen) LCD.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Our cable TV is going to drop the analog channels this month. They will supply a box that will work with the sets that have the audio/video inputs. I have an old CRT set that is in the basement area I watch, and a cable ready set in the kitchen When cable announced that extra box would be needed for both sets and they would provide them for free for a year , then charge for them, I switched to Direct TV.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Better hurry, trashman coming soon.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

we bought a 40 inch flat screen Sony led tv from craiglist for 40 bucks. its working great

Reply to
bob haller

I was in the same situation. I got lucky though, a nearby lightning strike took out the TV so I had to get a 47" flat screen. Of course, two weeks after I bought it the price dropped $50.

Next up- - - 60" curved screen Ultra HD. Praying for a bad thunderstorm.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Curved is a gimmick, it will diminish peripheral viewing. Good on your far side, but bad on your close side. 4k has some programming on satellite...sets have a built-in hard drive just for the demo!

Reply to
bob_villa

I tried a different power cord into a different receptacle - no change. Also tried covering the remote sensor - nope. Time for a new TV. John T.

hubops
[snip]

That sounds like what they may be doing here, along with the same language ("free for a year"). Are you sure about that interpretation? It would be wrong to give you something and then later charge for what they gave you. Maybe it just means if you DON'T get any now you'll have to pay to get it later.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

By the time I'm ready to buy, 4k will be far more common. Remember when networks only broadcast in color in the evening?

The curve is supposed to enhance peripheral viewing. I've not done any serious viewing yet. The demo sure looks good though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I may be wrong for how long, but think it is a year. Anyway , after a certain ammount of time the cable company will charge a $ 2.75 a month for each device. Bad thing about it will not give all the channels, just the standard TV that is already free on the analog TV that is going away on cable. Below is from their web page. Talking with some that have gone to this converter box (the converter box for off the air TV will not work either) say it is free for now to watch.

Digital Adapters are free for a limited time in some areas. Please refer to our Digital Adapter support page for details

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I broke the spherical glass shade for a ceiling fixture, and I found one in the Re-Store in Ft. Lauderdale Florida. I asked myself if I really wanted to cart the thing home to Baltimore on the plane, and I decided to. 10 years later, I still haven't seen that size in glass in the store, so I did the right thing.

Reply to
micky

When HDTV came out, it was described as like looking through a window. And when I first saw it, that's what I thought too. When I'm in Costco looking at the 4K demos, now I think that looks like looking out a window. Just shows how you get used to what you have.

AFAIK, there aren't any sources for true 4K yet. I guess regular HD sources are supposed to look better anyway, they upconvert them somehow. Whatever they are using for a demo source sure looks great. I wonder what that source could be?

Reply to
trader_4