TV to quit waking baby, bothering neighbors ...

Page 2 of 2
Per Bob F:

Likewise SageTV got bought out by Google and isn't selling any more licenses or hardware.
I know a few people who swear by MythTV. Tried it myself for awhile, but ran afoul of Linux and SQL Anywhere's security settings. But others say they can't imagine what I'm talking about... so go figure.
I also have heard from a few who use Microsoft Media Center and are reasonably satisfied with it. I think Microsoft Media Center is pre-packaged with at least one of the versions of Windows 7.
--
Pete Cresswell

What was amazing to me is that if you didn't buy it with XP, if you'd never even heard of it (as was the case with me), you couldn't get it as an add-on later, even for money.
Is it still t hat way with Win 7?
Per micky:

I built a couple of XP-based servers by installing from the Microsoft Developer Network DVDs but it was a real hassle and I got the impression that the XP-based product was intended for turnkey systems where it's all pre-installed and not for after-the-fact installation by end users.
What turned me away from it was the flip side of being simple to use: it was so dumbed-down that the UI made me crazy. Not nearly enough information on a screen, for starters: too much time spent drilling down and scrolling.
But I see myself as being on the lunatic fringe consumer-satisfaction-wise (and maybe otherwise...).
My impression is that a lot of reasonable people use it and like it - and that there are add-ons that mitigate the dumbed-down aspect.

No direct experience, but my impression from reading other people's posts is that it's built-in and ready to go: just hook up some tuners and configure it.
Maybe somebody with experience can comment.
--
Pete Cresswell

If I used Mute, I'd forget to turn the sound on when the show started again. I usually read the newspaper or work on the computer while I'm watching tv, so I won't know when the show restrarts.
But I pretty much timer-record everything I watch, so I can watch it when I want to.

Sometimes I wonder if FFing through the commercials, digitally, has any effect on me. I don't buy most of the things they advertise.

quite a few commercials lately that have a period of silence. When that is unexpected, it actually makes people look at the TV to see what's wrong. Even after getting used to it, will that let the advertisers play the rest of the commercial at a louder volume, becasue the average will still be below the limit?

It's not just very lately. I'm sure that was going on more than 2 years ago. We all watch different shows in different cities and are exposed to different commercials. But I haven't seen one with the slience for at least a year.

I didnt think the new law was based on averages within the commercial, only the average volvume of the tv show it self before the commerical. But I could be wrong.

I also havent' read the mother jones article yet. I plan to.
On 12/13/2012 6:44 AM, HeyBub wrote:

It became law in Germany years ago and Magnavox had an automatic volume limit as a feature in their TV sets but I haven't noticed it lately. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 06:01:51 -0800, Oren wrote:

I always wondered why automatic gain control (AGC) didn't lower the loud commercial volumes automagically.
Isn't that what ACG is supposed to do?
On 12/13/2012 1:23 PM, Danny D. wrote:

Magnavox had an automatic volume level control feature on their sets at one time. ^_^
TDD
On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 19:23:41 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."

Yes, but I have heard that the commercials are louder in one's ear because of style of speech they use, so they seem louder, but they're not electronically louder. OTOH, that's not what I heard when this law was passed. I think they were already supposed to limit the volume of commercials and the news said that they made it the same as the last minute, or 45 seconds of the tv show that was playing, and now they were going to have to make the commercials the same volume as the last 10, 15, ???, maybe minutes of the show. I guess the shows cooperated by increasing their volume for the last minute. All of this implies the volume is louder electronically and what I started this paragraph with isn't true.
I hope someone in this thread explains it.
On 12/14/2012 8:57 PM, micky wrote:

It has to do with "Dynamic range compression" for the audio. Here's a link to a site that can explain it in detail. The section on TV ads is down the page so you'll have to scroll down to "Marketing". ^_^
http://en.wikiaudio.org/Dynamic_range_compression
TDD

Don't bet on it. I see (on an O scope) and hear that the programming is getting the odd bit of audio added that raises the technical level of the program audio. when the commercial come along those element are not present so the 'message' audio is at a higher level.

Without looking, the article specifies average volume, which means nothing to me. You can keep peak level equal, within 3 db, etc. Average is another thing, which also depends on compression levels. I would have to read the FCC data.
I originally started using automatic volume controllers because the cheap comcast cable had wide rage of volumes between channels. It's ok today. I used to make and buy various controllers, including feeding through VCR's automatic volume circuitry. I also used them to feed widely varying mp3's volume.
It's been annoying the commercial volume often went up close to 10 db, or twice the loudness. About time.
Greg

Easy to fix. Get a DVR and record the shows you want to watch. Just FF through them and watch a one hour show in about 40 minutes with NO commercials. About the only thing we watch in real time is the news., even that is delayed if we are eating dinner.

I watch GMA every morning. It is on from 7-9 here. I turn it on at 8 and often have to watch it live by 9. I ff through commercials, weather, and the 'we're going to tell you what we're going to tell you' segments. . . and Nancy Grace.
Jim

Yes I do that. And I often watch the recording while I'm recording it. I tune in 5 or 10 minutes after the timer starts the recording, but play the recording from the beginning. Then I can FF forward through the commercials. I usually replay a couple minutes of each show so that puts me further behind, so more room to FF.

The FCC has granted extensions of time for smaller cable networks and distributors to comply with the new rules.
Also, it is the "density" of the sound that is to be partially controlled, not just the peak amplitude. If you are of an engineering bent, read the actual FCC ruling to understand what it is that is supposed to be happening.

Yes, the law was passed about two years ago, became effective a year ago, and gave them a year to do it. I've been eagerly looking forward to this. I'm tired of adjusting the volume, even in the bedroom where I put in a wired volume control with a knob (a lot easier to use than the remote. I use an add-on speaker with better sound than the built-in speaker.)
For years I haven't been able to fall asleep to the tv because the commercials were so loud, and sometimes the radio has nothing on it.