TV Speaker Recommendtaion

Bose is overpriced JUNK!

Reply to
Ron

Never owned any Bose myself, but I read a suggestion that the name is an a acronym for

Buy Other Sound (Stereo) Equipment

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Long ago and far away, Bose was a decent brand. But like many or most of the 'quality' brand names we remember from our youth, the brand name got sold off, and is now placed on (high end) pacific rim products. I about sobbed when I saw 'Advent' on cheap generic televisions at Wally World a few years ago.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

They were never a decent brand. Bose is the only speaker company that I've ever seen that doesn't publish ANY specs for their speakers.

Not even their top on the line 901's!

Bose is a marketing machine, nothing more.

BTW, I had a friend that had a pair of 901's in the early 80's, and in a side by side comparison with my Klipsch Heresys, my Klipsch easily blew the 901's away.

Reply to
Ron

I would suggest buying a HTIB. (Home Theater In a Box)

They come with a surround sound receiver, 5 speakers and a subwoofer.

Stating price is just over $100.00. For about $225.00 you can actually get something half decent.

Ron

They were never a decent brand. Bose is the only speaker company that I've ever seen that doesn't publish ANY specs for their speakers.

Not even their top on the line 901's!

Bose is a marketing machine, nothing more.

BTW, I had a friend that had a pair of 901's in the early 80's, and in a side by side comparison with my Klipsch Heresys, my Klipsch easily blew the 901's away.

reply:

I have a Sony that I like. One of the top of the line models. I also have a Panasonic that is purely wimpy. You get what you pay for unless you slide into the overpriced Bose and other high end stuff.

I installed the Home stereo display at the Alexis Hotel in Las Vegas during Consumer Electronics Show years ago. 140 rooms of HIGH end stereo equipment. Digital CD, some vinyl players. They had TUBE type amplifyers and speaker systems that ran $300,000. I asked the salesman what made them worth that, and he said nothing, but rich people would pay that much.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have had a couple different Bose speaker systems. My first set was the original Acoustimass Series II stereo with passive subwoofer. I had them hooked to a pair of Eico vacuum tube amps that put out 32 RMS watts apiece. The bass was amazing, which I attribute to the 15 lb. output transformers. The tube amps finally died, but the speakers are still going strong as bedroom speakers, hooked to a Sony amp. For a while they were my TV speakers, with a pair of Optimus minis for the rear channel. I think they are somewhere around 20 years old.

My current system is a 5.1 surround sound with a powered subwoofer, hooked to an Onkyo THX certified amp. They sound OK, but the bass is not as clean as the old unpowered subwoofer. It has a tendency to be boomy. It took quite a bit of experimenting to find an acceptable combination of subwoofer gain setting and placement. I wouldn't recommend them for TV speakers unless you have a good amp.

For stand alone TV speakers, I would look at some of the high end computer speakers. If there is a 5 channel preamp out on the TV, you can get 90 watt 5.1 surround sound computer speakers pretty cheap that will do a good job of filling an average sized room.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

Thanks for the info.

Don