TV repairable?

I wanted to watch the Sugar Bowl (alma mater playing) and it was not on broadcast TV. But ESPN streamed it for free. Worked well enough for me.
Net Flix is fun to watch too.
I watch most TV shows online and I just checked my

That is still smoking speed (the down) for most streaming content. Bandwidth is not free so this stuff is highly compressed.
After a long incubation and where the internet speeds and computer speeds really weren't there, online video is catching on rapidly.

We are not so far off that already the near homeless are watching on their 4g phones. Crazy what people do and don't spend money on.
Jeff

On 1/18/2011 6:52 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

Breaking news, Apple introduces "The ipatch"! New technology that feeds content directly to the optic nerve. It is being called the Borg mod in some tech circles because it covers one eye making the user look like the Star Trek cyborg villain. The new item is expected to break all sales records and have people camping out in line at the retail locations that will be selling the ipatch. :-)
TDD
On 1/18/2011 7:52 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

It is crazy. I put out $15 for a new cell phone. It works just fine.
On 1/19/2011 7:47 AM, Tony Miklos wrote:

I've seen prepaid cells for as little as $9.00. Golly! I seem to remember a hand held cellphone costing more than two grand. :-)
TDD

Well, they were a big handful!
Seems like plastic and LSI's don't cost much in quantity.
I spent the extra bucks on my cell, $50. Having had a non clamshell, and having butt dialed before my "boss", it was worth the extra money.
I have an acquaintance who is a total jerk, his voice mail was butt dialed by someone he greatly admired. Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) the call occurred while he was having a conversation of how much better the Jerk's wife's life would be if she left him. Technology always has unintended consequences!
Jeff

On 1/20/2011 5:43 AM, Jeff Thies wrote:

I've had a TracFone for years and when they switched from analog to digital the company sent me a replacement at no charge. I made up a name for them to send it to so I retain privacy. No contracts, no personal information is in their record about me so they can't violate my privacy. It's amusing to see junk mail arrive for my imaginary cell phone customer. :-)
TDD
On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 04:01:09 -0600, The Daring Dufas

I'm lucky if I can get half the 768K I'm supposed to.
On 1/18/2011 9:51 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

768 would be a 2x upgrade for me. :^(
--
aem sends, slowly....

On 1/18/2011 4:44 AM, aemeijers wrote:

On my laptop? Very little, and no, no movie watching. I have a TV for that. Even YouTube is painful over my Internet connection.

Even 1.5Mb/s sometimes isn't sufficient for YouTube. It's better if you pause the video long enough to allow the download to get well ahead of the playback (or even complete). Or you can simply save the FLV (or MP4) file, and play it back at leisure.
--
Ian

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 08:26:33 +0000, Ian Jackson

That's what I do and it's painful.

It must suck to be a member of the underprivileged class.
I signed up for Netflix streaming video a couple of weeks ago. I've finished two seasons of a pay-tv series "The Tudors," and am now watching "Pillars of the Earth" series from a novel by Ken Follett, plus a few interspersed movies.
At 25-30Mbs (it varies), I'm in a happy place.

AT&T customer, you bet. They're not as bad as Dish, though. The city is supposed to be running "fiber to the house" sometime in the next couple of years. Maybe that'll help.

The kid gets 18Mb. They got rid of their cable completely and watch "TV" over the Internet.

That's it. Hook a laptop onto big flat panel TV with 7.1 home theater set up. Audio, video is all HD. We seldom go to cinema any more.

I still like the theater for some movies, though a lot less often since we're no longer seniors. $9.50 a ticket is nuts for most of the garbage anymore.

We got younger? ;-)
The senior ticket cut-off was 55; $4.50/ticket. They raised it to 65 a year or so ago ($9.50) and we spend *way* less.

First run?

Ditch the entertainment center and get a 47". Bigger is definitely better. I set out to buy a 42" and my wife was the 47" and said I want THAT one! Done deal. Wish I could fit a 55.
On 1/17/2011 6:29 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

By the way, do they still measure them diagonally?

Yes, but be careful. In the 16:9 ratio, the set is lower at say 19: compared to a regular CRT. If making a direct replacement for a 19", I'd go with a 22 or 26"