TV repairable?

Page 3 of 7
On Jan 17, 12:32am, snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

The only tube he will find is the CRT (at that age TV). Another comment about degaussing, that is an AC coil that would cause it to be jittery not stable. I agree with a bad capacitor (electolytic).
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 00:32:32 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

At 15 years old the chances of having a single tube other than the CRT are exceedingly slim.
On 1/17/2011 1:32 AM, snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

Probably not. Probably a Capacitor. Not expecting that to get fixed, but it is doable.
Jeff
On 1/17/2011 1:32 AM, snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

I doubt a 15 year old TV has any tubes other than the CRT.
On 1/17/2011 1:32 AM, snipped-for-privacy@online.com wrote:

I haven't seen a tube tester in any local retail stores in at least 20 years. Or were you pulling our chain? I remember them well from my youth, and even used them a few times- 40 years ago. A 1995 Toshiba isn't gonna have any tubes anyway, other than the one big one.
But having said that- unless OP wants to fix it just to know he can (which I understand and is perfectly valid), the cheapest solution is to cruise by the local thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.) and check out their stock. 27" glass TVs go for about 30 bucks. Most of those paces have a cable feed, or at least a converter box, and you can light it up and verify picture quality. The ones around here have a good stock right now- Santa musta brought lots of flat screens for Xmas.
I'd like to replace at least my larger TVs with flat panels, but these damn Sony Trinitrons just will not die. Being a cheap SOB, I can't justify junking working hardware, especially when the old stuff has close to zero resale value at this point.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

I think he was kidding around.

I have my old tv, a Sony, I'm thinking I'll take it to Goodwill. I don't know what else to do with it. I feel (a little) bad about replacing a working tv, but I needed a flat tv. I don't want to junk my old tv to boot.
nancy
On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:35:25 -0500, "Nancy Young"

Around here Goodwill will not take a TV over 5 years old. I tried last week - ended up taking it to the dump.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! I don't remember how old it is, but it's at least 5. Guess I'll take it to recycling.
nancy

there should be a manufacturing date on the back of the set.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Huh, I thought I had it for longer than this, it's 2004. Sony Wega. I wish I could email it to one of you who'd appreciate it. It just takes up so much room and was in the way where I had it.
Takes me back to when even my home computer monitor took up half my desk. I don't miss that.
nancy
On 1/17/2011 6:04 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

Sony Wega has a pretty good rep, even now. Put it on CL, somebody may give 50 bucks for it. The one across the room from me is one of those in 27" size, also 2004 dated. I bought it used off CL 18? months ago for 100 bucks (a good price at the time), because I wanted to move my old narrower 27" Trinitron to the other living room, to fill up a hole in the entertainment center. The old one is 1999 or so, purchased new for ~$400. They both work perfectly. By the time these crap out, hopefully flat screens will be down to a price I can tolerate. I'm pretty sure flat screens don't last long enough for any of them to show up on used market in good condition at any significant discount from new prices.
As to computer monitors- my 2 regular-use monitors are Dell-branded 19" Trinitrons that date from 2000, purchased used at a state auction around 2004 for ~$40 each. They also work perfectly, dammit, after years of heavy use. Every time I go to Sam's I drool my way through the aisle of Samsung flat-screens at ever-lower prices, but until these die....
(Life at the trailing edge is one of the downsides of being a cheap SOB.)
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:

Same one! Only thing I didn't like about it (except it's the size of an oven) was that it was silver(ish).

Should be interesting. Maybe when the snow disappears, if it ever does, I'll put a free sign on the old tv at the curb. I've had good luck with that in the past.

Are you that one guy still buying film for your camera?? (laugh) I'm the last person to convert to new technology because hey, the old one works fine. The upside is by that time whatever it is has come way down in price and they have worked out a lot of the bugs.
nancy
On 1/17/2011 11:10 PM, Nancy Young wrote: (snip)

Haven't bought any film in the last couple of years. Not that you CAN buy it without a hunt anymore. But I still have half a dozen or so Nikon SLRs and a dozen or two lenses for them. I have a couple of grand in them (mostly all bought used), but original retail easily over 10k. I might get 2 or 3 hundred for the whole pile, and they are worth more in sentimental value to me than that. Keep meaning to pull the batteries out of all of them before they start leaking. Maybe in 40 years or so, my heirs can make a few bucks from them as collector items.
--
aem sends...

On 1/17/2011 11:32 PM, aemeijers wrote:

Same goes for my Olympus collection ... I'm waiting for SLR digitals to go down in price so's I can try my old lenses with a digital. We have a pack of coyotes in the woods near our home, so may have another go at nature photography. I had never heard a coyote howl until two nights ago...pretty awesome! Have yet to see them, but my son went out to investigate and saw three of them. Lots of deer around, in spite of a deer harvest (90 killed) in and around our town this fall.

The lenses may have significant value. A *lot* of old Nikkor lenses are still usable on modern Nikon DSLR's.
The camera bodies are probably not worth much but I would pull those batteries. It's heartbreaking to see precision equipment ruined for something that would only take a few seconds to prevent.
Nancy Young wrote:
[snip]

Someone did that here last year. It was a RCA 46-inch rear-projection TV. That stayed on the curb for almost a weak until it was thrown in the trash truck and crushed.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us
On 1/18/2011 2:44 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

With a projector-box TV, I'm not surprised. Even the curb fairies have learned that once those screw up, repairing them is a large fraction of the cost of a flat-panel almost as big. Definitely a dead end on the television evolutionary tree. I saw those sitting by the dumpster at the apartments more than once. My sister and BIL have one, maybe 5YO, and the picture is already getting noticeably degraded. If I wanted that big, I'd go with a ceiling projector and a screen, like at work.
--
aem sends...

On 1/18/2011 2:44 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

With a projector-box TV, I'm not surprised. Even the curb fairies have learned that once those screw up, repairing them is a large fraction of the cost of a flat-panel almost as big. Definitely a dead end on the television evolutionary tree. I saw those sitting by the dumpster at the apartments more than once. My sister and BIL have one, maybe 5YO, and the picture is already getting noticeably degraded. If I wanted that big, I'd go with a ceiling projector and a screen, like at work.
--
aem sends...

aemeijers wrote:
[snip]

That's the setup I have. The projector is smaller than a VCR, and can easily be moved around. The screen I have is 60 inches wide (58 inches usable because of black strips on the sides), but could easily be changed to a larger one (using the same projector).
BTW, it still seems wrong that "widescreen" on that setup means a SMALLER picture.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

some people use their old film cameras because of their large selection of SLR lenses that don't fit newer camera bodies.(me)
If only they made a digital back for my AE-1. I could use my 600mm telephoto lens a lot these days,if I could take digital pics with it,or my 75-205macro zoom. I've been seeing a lot of red-shouldered hawks recently. Even had some otters in the "lake",again.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik