TV repairable?

Over air HD 720p is a good quality picture, he has internet, Netflix is only 9 bucks a month, better than going to blockbuster.

Reply to
ransley

In message , snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca writes

Isn't the other way around ('traditional' monitor 16:10, 'proper' TV

16:9)?
Reply to
Ian Jackson

Thanks for the heads up! I don't remember how old it is, but it's at least 5. Guess I'll take it to recycling.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

I'd at least try leaving it out for the curb fairies, or list it on FreeCycle or Craig's list for free, before I did that. I feel guilty burying running hardware. If not running, most areas that are urbanized at all, have an annual electronics recycle day.

Reply to
aemeijers

Everyone has forgotten my original suggestion, loosen the back so the set runs cooler and see what happens. Also, if it is a bad capacitor, the problem would not appear, and then disappear somewhat later, but would be continually bad. It could be a cold solder joint, that opens upon a little heating, and then recloses after further heating. That's why I suggested opening the back and see what happens. It is easy for a non-electronics person to do and gives a lot of information!!!!

Reply to
hrhofmann

Put it on the curb with a largish note: "WORKS!"

The Urban Fairies (or Underpants Gnomes) will disappear it.

Reply to
HeyBub

And, I'll bet, you've been going through a living hell ever since.

Remember, if you're unhappy and your wife is happy, you are still happier than you be if you were happy and your wife unhappy.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yeah, it's only *worth* repairing if that's what gets you off, but then you become that weird TV guy whose house is stacked with old sets awaiting repair, and your hair is sticking straight out from one too many encounters with the high-voltage on the CRT.

The state of affairs is such that the low failure rate and low cost to manufacture "durable" goods these days, that it's cheaper to replace the few that fail with new units than it is to staff and stock a repair facility.

Reply to
mkirsch1

well if you buy a wide-screen monitor it is usually 16:9 A wide screen TV is usually 16:9 There are some 16:10 in each. Mine is 16:10 - which means it is higher for the same width, which in my case is what I was looking for. Most of the wide-screen monitors offered for sale today are 16:9 (I guess so people can watch HDTV on them)

This TV was the only 28" 16:10 I could find "locally" - I only had to drive 68 miles one way to pick it up.

Reply to
clare

I've had monitors with very obviously bad (swelled) caps work intermittently for a long time before they quit for good. Motherboards too.

Reply to
clare

If the problem gets better suddenly, then look for bad solder joints (can be invisible without strong light and a magnifying glass), but if it gradually improves, suspect a worn-out capacitor. As people much more knowledgeable have said, the fault is in the horizontal deflection circuitry. The PC board should be labelled by section, or you can trace the 4-6 wire cable going to the yoke of the CRT (yoke is that big coil around the neck).

Be careful not to let the TV fall forward, which it can easily do because its center of gravity is only 2" behind the screen. One person mentioned placing a CRT on a bed and seeing it fall forward and tumble to the floor, so either place it on a solid horizontal surface, or place it face-down on a soft surface.

Apparently Japanese CRT TVs at least 15 years old were built better than newer ones and had CRTs that would last a long, long time. I'm still using a 34-year-old Sanyo that still works well and has needed only 2 new capacitors.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Either that or the little buggers will smash it and you are left picking up peices. A few brats in the neighbourhood would tie any computer monitor or small TV left at the curb behind their bicycles and drag them around the block a few times till there was not much left.

Reply to
clare

I forgot to mention that your local library may have Sams Photofacts manuals online for free, and ElektroTanya.com has many factory repair manuals

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

You are incorrect about the capacitor. I've seen it happen over and over for 30+ years now.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

"Nancy Young" wrote in news:4d349940$0$1520$ snipped-for-privacy@blocknews.net:

there should be a manufacturing date on the back of the set.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Getting divorced. My MAJOR OFFENSE:( I paid off our mortage after inherting my moms house, I fixed it up sold it and paid off our mortage.

My wife was permanetely pissed, she wanted to go on a spending spree buying stuff.

I saved the 900 buck a month mortage, but the marriage ended.

Reply to
hallerb

OP could try cold spray on various parts while set is operating but theres high voltage hazard and its likely not worth the effort

Reply to
hallerb

Huh, I thought I had it for longer than this, it's 2004. Sony Wega. I wish I could email it to one of you who'd appreciate it. It just takes up so much room and was in the way where I had it.

Takes me back to when even my home computer monitor took up half my desk. I don't miss that.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

It's the bowing part that lead me to think cap, but you are right that healing like that is not really a cap thing. I've got a friend who still fixes TVs, though mostly it's all flat panel stuff now. I'll ask if I get a chance...

After a warm up the device starts working correctly but

It's better to know sooner than later. Toward the end of my repair "career" I was mostly fixing giant car amps. Nothing I could do to them could come close to the abuse they would get later! Oh, the abuse!

I've also seen a lot

I've used more than my share of freon tracking them down. Or not tracking them down!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I got a call a little while ago from the customer who had the Viewsonic monitor quit because of a bad electrolytic, an identical monitor on another workstation just did the same thing. I have to pick it up today and repair it.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas