TV repairable?

In considering a new tv a 32 will be more equivilant in height to your

27, you will be unhappy with a new 27. You can get a new 32 for 300, and have HD, a digital HD tuner, and alot lot better picture, I would not fix it, whats next to break. A new 32 might also use 1/4- 1/2 the power as your clunker
Reply to
ransley

To be accurate, the problem is low voltage in the horizontal deflection circuit. MOST likely capacitor related, but there are numerous other components that can cause it - some of which are more temperature sensitive than capacitors - and bad solder joints do fit the category.

Reply to
clare

At 15 years old the chances of having a single tube other than the CRT are exceedingly slim.

Reply to
clare

But only a 27 or 28 will fit the opening in an entertainment unit if that's where he has the old TV. A 32 is too big.

Reply to
clare

Probably not. Probably a Capacitor. Not expecting that to get fixed, but it is doable.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I doubt a 15 year old TV has any tubes other than the CRT.

Reply to
George

Google might work. I fixed a couple of DTV converter boxes by googling the problem and found a cap that failed in all of them. Likewise replacing caps is a common problem in switching supplies (Mac supplies in particular) although that is not the issue here. Claire is close to having this nailed, the symptoms are almost classic.

Capacitors have gotten a lot smaller for the same ratings, I suppose it's not to be unexpected that they would fail more often. The digital stuff in particular as switching supplies are hard on them.

Not sure how long modern HV sections hold a charge, but some caution should be exercised.

Jeff

The store had a problem with recurring power

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I haven't seen a tube tester in any local retail stores in at least 20 years. Or were you pulling our chain? I remember them well from my youth, and even used them a few times- 40 years ago. A 1995 Toshiba isn't gonna have any tubes anyway, other than the one big one.

But having said that- unless OP wants to fix it just to know he can (which I understand and is perfectly valid), the cheapest solution is to cruise by the local thrift stores (Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.) and check out their stock. 27" glass TVs go for about 30 bucks. Most of those paces have a cable feed, or at least a converter box, and you can light it up and verify picture quality. The ones around here have a good stock right now- Santa musta brought lots of flat screens for Xmas.

I'd like to replace at least my larger TVs with flat panels, but these damn Sony Trinitrons just will not die. Being a cheap SOB, I can't justify junking working hardware, especially when the old stuff has close to zero resale value at this point.

Reply to
aemeijers

I just reread his post and I've seen the same symptoms caused by cold solder joints. After a warm up the device starts working correctly but it will GRONK if you jar or slap it hard. I used to repair a lot of two way radio gear and when I finished repairing a problem, I would smack the unit against my carpet covered work bench much to the consternation of the other techs in the shop. I explained to them that the radio was going to get a lot rougher treatment in the field. I've also seen a lot of very strange thermal intermittent malfunctions.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I think he was kidding around.

I have my old tv, a Sony, I'm thinking I'll take it to Goodwill. I don't know what else to do with it. I feel (a little) bad about replacing a working tv, but I needed a flat tv. I don't want to junk my old tv to boot.

nancy

Reply to
Nancy Young

my wife wanted a entertainment center i refused, 5 months later the tv died and we upsized, which would of been impossible with a entertainment center

Reply to
hallerb

Yes caps in switching power supplies are common problems. Usually from ESR (equivalent series resistance) which shows up with high frequencies, like in switching power supplies. Many common replacement caps will already be failing that test but work for a while. They make special caps for circuits sensitive to ESR.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

In my findings 99.9% of the time it was a bad cap, and while at it I changed other caps that had a history of failing. I've also found caps, especially ones that suffer from ESR are very temperature sensitive.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

One particular monitor with cap problems had 2 caps parallel. I think the one was 100uf and the other 220uf. I'd find them on my bench where they had been replaced with one 330uf cap. Sometimes they worked, and sometimes they didn't. I don't claim to know why but I always guessed it had something to do with ESR.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Do you even have to ask that question? It was a joke, or a troll; chuckle, ignore, and move on.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

You really might then be unhappy with a 27 lcd, as I think its near 5" shorter, you should look into it first. Thats what happened to me. Or get a 55"-65" tv and use a saw. I think 55 is the way to go.

Reply to
ransley

Yup, Hang a big screen on the wall and get on with life, buy one on line and have it delivered to your front door and you will be watching it this time Thursday. Over the air TV isn't all that bad anymore, if you are within reasonable distance from a big city it's worth an antenna to get the sub channels. Get a computer with remote keyboard and mouse and plug it in and you can get some pretty decent online streaming sites blue ray and of course game boxes for the grandkids and surround sound and a dozen other things. I saw a really nice big screen Sony CRT/with pedestal at the 2nd hand store, not a thing wrong with it except for the SD screen showing all those old 486 raster lines for 49.99 a while back.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Around here Goodwill will not take a TV over 5 years old. I tried last week - ended up taking it to the dump.

Reply to
clare

I got it and I'm happy with it. It is a 28" Hanspree 16:10 ratio (a lot better than the "monitor" sizing of 16:9)

Reply to
clare

Except in this particular room (basement rec-room/office) the wall where the TV is has a window in it (covered by a set of shutters). The bottom of the shutters are about 4 feet from the floor and the room is only 11 feet wide.. Hard to get more than 12 feet from the screen too.

Upstairs in the living room we have a 42 inch plasma on top of the fake electric fireplace. Same sized room.

Reply to
clare