TV Remote Control

If this is not the appropriate group, please direct me to a better.
My old RCA TV bit the dust this morning. I found a magnavox 27MS3404R on sale and bought it. I got it home and hooked up ok, only to find that the remote provided is for the TV only, and will not control the satellite box or vcr or nothing else. I tried to reprogram the RCA remote, but I can get only about 1/2 the functions to work. i.e. it will turn the tv off, but not on, the setup menu will appear, but I can't arrow to the options, etc. I've tried dozens of code numbers from every website and documentation I can find. Only one code does anything, and that is the limited functions described above. I've decided I probably need to get a *GOOD* universal remote to control these things, and I don't want to spend a lot of money. Any suggestions apprectiated. Thank you. Steve 41N
Subject: TV Remote Control Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Steve IA <= wrote:

<cross-post deleted>
Didn't your satellite box come with a universal remote?
--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email
"G. Morgan" wrote:

Yes, it was an RCA and literally wore out about a year ago. Steve

Here is a website that is sure to have a replacement.
http://www.electronicadventure.us /
--

-Graham

Remove the snails to email
G. Morgan wrote:

Be sure to check pricing if you decide on a universal remote. These guys are expensive!

I would suggest a new remote, no need to spend much. Keep the packaging and return it if it does not cure the problem.
*-------------------------------* NEVER FORGET!!! http://cf1.newsday.infi.net/911/victimsearchframe.cfm?id !05
Steve IA wrote:

No problemo. I like this one for the application you described.
http://www.remotecentral.com/ureview/45.htm
About $25
Steve IA wrote:

Since you still have both original remotes, just be sure to buy a "learning" remote and you can always program any missing features (from either the TV or sat tuner) into the new remote control. That is why I recommended the Sony RM-VL700. I've got two of them and they have been perfect for my use.
http://www.remotecentral.com/vl700/index.html
This one is available in silver or black, your choice: (note: I'm not recommending this site, just showing you that it comes in both colors). http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/item_detail.php?item_id 5561
Hope this helps.
Get a 5 in 1. They sell them all over and they are cheap.

Go here and wear out your mouse finding what you want! I have a Sony that does everything I need!
http://www.remotecentral.com /
Rich

Might I recommend sci.electronics.repair ....there are a bunch of guys out there with huge experience in the consumer electronics biz....maybe they could be of assistance...good luck, Ross
Get a fully programable with JP1 interface (Radioshack 8 in one is 1). This one will clone any remote you have and allow you to store the codes on your PC for when it crashes. This is a simple cable you can buy or make. Do a search on JP1 for info.
Steve IA wrote:
I bought a little Magnavox - Philips job. Cost about $30.00 it is an 7 or 8 way design and I love it. It has outlasted two original remotes and has done everything I have wanted. It is not complex and it is well thought out in design.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math