TV porblem

Need some help. I have a Phillips 32" model TS3258C1 that quit after a pop sound I do work on copiers so I have some idea of what happened (also smells like burnt transformer or something similar. It's 11:00 PM in Chicago now so I haven't opened the unit up yet. I was wonder if anyone is familiar with some weakness in this TV that might save me some trouble shooting time. Thanks Frank
Frank wrote:

Sounds like you lost high voltage going to CRT anode. Open up the set discharge the HV circuit and sniff around to see if anything cooked.
<DIV><FONT face="Lucida Sans Unicode">Need some help. I have a Phillips 32" model TS3258C1 that quit after a pop sound I do work on copiers so I have some idea of what happened (also smells like burnt transformer or something similar. It's 11:00&nbsp; PM in Chicago now so I haven't opened the unit up yet. I was wonder if anyone is familiar with some weakness in this TV that might save me some trouble shooting time.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Lucida Sans Unicode">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks&nbsp; Frank</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2><BR><BR></FONT><FONT face=Arial size=2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
First you have to do as someone else said - discharge the HV circuitry.
If you don't know what that is, you can kill yourself with the 10,000 or so volts that are inside the box. Don't open the TV.
In the unlikely event you can find a place that repairs TV's, don't be surprised to hear it's not worth fixing. Keep in mind that all analog TV transmitters must be turned off on 3/1/09 by FCC mandate. That alone means you have just under 2 years before that analog TV won't work. (yes I know about the converter boxes, but why bother?)
<DIV><FONT face="Lucida Sans Unicode">Need some help. I have a Phillips 32" model TS3258C1 that quit after a pop sound I do work on copiers so I have some idea of what happened (also smells like burnt transformer or something similar. It's 11:00&nbsp; PM in Chicago now so I haven't opened the unit up yet. I was wonder if anyone is familiar with some weakness in this TV that might save me some trouble shooting time.</FONT></DIV> <DIV><FONT face="Lucida Sans Unicode">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks&nbsp; Frank</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=

surprised to hear it's not worth fixing. Keep in mind that all analog TV transmitters must be turned off on 3/1/09 by FCC mandate. Terrestrial broadcast in particular frequency ranges.
Don't forget the many sources of analog video that AREN'T affected by that mandate like cable, satellite box, VCR, DVD, video game, security camera, etc...

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com