TV dropped - color problem

Hi:

My son accidentally fell, grabbed the TV and both hit the floor. He is OK BUT the TV now has color problems on the right side. Actually he does also on the right side of his face from where the TV caught him.

37" Sanyo. Someone suggested the tube is shot and must be replaced at a cost of $500-$600. It is only 3 years old or so and I paid $750 if I remember right.

Someone else suggested magnets near the yoke to try to correct the problem. Any other ideas? What must I NOT touch? I don't want to get zapped.

Thank you in advance.

Bob

Reply to
Localnet

Tony Hwang

Hi:

When in video mode the screen used to be all blue. Left 2/3'rds is blue...the right 1/3 of the screen has a streak like a 1/2 moon - green. And inside that a small 1/2 moon streak red and then the top right corner blue.

Make sense?

Bob

Reply to
Localnet

Did the TV fall next to a speaker? Remove NoSpam to reply, Thanks

Reply to
Kahlua53

Hi:

No, not at all. Just hit the carpet on it's right side, I guess, and shifted something inside.

Now, there is a tube like object that has a clamp around it. What if I loosen the clamp slightly and try moving this object. Would this cause the image to shift on the screen front?

Bob

Reply to
Localnet

Localnet Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Re: the TV: It is probably a damaged shadow mask inside the pix tube. This happened during the fall, obviously, and is repairable by replacing the tube.

However, it is possible that the tube got magnetized oddly somehow in the fall. If this is the case, it would just need to be degaussed by someone with a degaussing coil. I don't give this good odds though...

Re: the son. Hope he's OK...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Tony Hwang Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

If this was the case, the pix could be slightly rotated too.

True...even though HDTV has been out a number of years, it is gaining steam...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Learn to quote you moron.

Reply to
Randy Calhoun

NOIse

Kinda like the odds of you having a functional brain.

Reply to
Randy Calhoun

Hi:

Gee thanks. I've got a real problem here and asking for help. It is Christmas time and I now have a choice of presents for the kids or buy a new TV.

Why make comments like this?

Bob

Reply to
Localnet

Because he is a Usnet troll and is to be ignored.

The best thing to do is to take the set in for service. The problem you describe is called color purity error and may be correctable even if the damage is internal to the tube (shadow mask - depending on the geometry of the distortion). No offense, but since your asking, you should not be fiddling with anything inside the television. You can get hurt or further misalign the set. John

Reply to
jriegle

Localnet Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

I recommend ignoring him. He definitely was a bottle baby.

So, what have you decided to do with the TV, if I may ask?

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Localnet Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

That's the yoke. It is responsible for the rotation and some of the color purity. If you unscrew the clamp and turn it, you will mess up the rotation of the pix.

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Kahlua53 Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

That is a good question. If that was the case, the TV could be fixed by being degaussed...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

And the prices are getting reasonable... But then, so are most of the newer techs...who woulda thought 3 years ago you could get a DVD with all the fancys on sale at a place like Sears for $39???

Reply to
CBHvac

CBHvac Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

It's the nature of the industry.

These items are expensive at first then after a few years the price drops drastically...

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck

Hi, Most TV has degaussing coil built-in. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Your son must be a real klutz. If he were my kid, I'd take him across my knee and whip his butt. Then I'd make him earn $750 to replace the trashed tv.

Reply to
me

Hi:

What an incredible array of emails. First, he is not a klutz, very athletic, quite coordinated, only 11 years old and was basically unhurt. The TV is very heavy and he could have been hurt quite badly.

Second, I plan on taking the TV in to see if it "can" be serviced. I hope they can improve the quality at minimal cost.

Thanks for your assistance.

Bob

Reply to
Localnet

Tony Hwang Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in :

Actually, they all do. However, the built in ones are not able to create a big enough electro magnetic field to quickly degauss the picture tube. A good TV tech will have one that will do the job in a few seconds, while the one inside the tv would take weeks to months...if at all.

NOI

Reply to
Thund3rstruck