TV dropped - color problem

Page 1 of 2
Hi:
My son accidentally fell, grabbed the TV and both hit the floor. He is OK BUT the TV now has color problems on the right side. Actually he does also on the right side of his face from where the TV caught him.
37" Sanyo. Someone suggested the tube is shot and must be replaced at a cost of $500-$600. It is only 3 years old or so and I paid $750 if I remember right.
Someone else suggested magnets near the yoke to try to correct the problem. Any other ideas? What must I NOT touch? I don't want to get zapped.
Thank you in advance.
Bob
--

******************
This email was checked with anti-virus software before sending.
Localnet wrote:

Hi:
When in video mode the screen used to be all blue. Left 2/3'rds is blue...the right 1/3 of the screen has a streak like a 1/2 moon - green. And inside that a small 1/2 moon streak red and then the top right corner blue.
Make sense?
Bob
--

******************
This email was checked with anti-virus software before sending.

******************
This email was checked with anti-virus software before sending.
Localnet Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

That's the yoke. It is responsible for the rotation and some of the color purity. If you unscrew the clamp and turn it, you will mess up the rotation of the pix.
NOI
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:47:19 -0500, "Localnet"

That will only allow you to correct the angle of the picture vs the glass (i.e. tilt). BTW - there's some very high voltages in there. You might want to stay clear if you don't know anything about TV's (I'm guessing you don't).
Kahlua53 wrote:

Learn to quote you moron.
Kahlua53 Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

That is a good question. If that was the case, the TV could be fixed by being degaussed...
NOI
Tony Hwang Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and

If this was the case, the pix could be slightly rotated too.

True...even though HDTV has been out a number of years, it is gaining steam...
NOI

And the prices are getting reasonable... But then, so are most of the newer techs...who woulda thought 3 years ago you could get a DVD with all the fancys on sale at a place like Sears for $39???
CBHvac Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

It's the nature of the industry. <G>
These items are expensive at first then after a few years the price drops drastically...
NOI
Localnet Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

Re: the TV: It is probably a damaged shadow mask inside the pix tube. This happened during the fall, obviously, and is repairable by replacing the tube.
However, it is possible that the tube got magnetized oddly somehow in the fall. If this is the case, it would just need to be degaussed by someone with a degaussing coil. I don't give this good odds though... <G>
Re: the son. Hope he's OK...
NOI
Thund3rsuck wrote:

Kinda like the odds of you having a functional brain.
Hi:
Gee thanks. I've got a real problem here and asking for help. It is Christmas time and I now have a choice of presents for the kids or buy a new TV.
Why make comments like this?
Bob
--

******************
This email was checked with anti-virus software before sending.

Localnet Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed

I recommend ignoring him. He definitely was a bottle baby. <G>
So, what have you decided to do with the TV, if I may ask?
NOI
Thund3rstruck wrote:

Most TV has degaussing coil built-in. Tony
Tony Hwang Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and

Actually, they all do. However, the built in ones are not able to create a big enough electro magnetic field to quickly degauss the picture tube. A good TV tech will have one that will do the job in a few seconds, while the one inside the tv would take weeks to months...if at all.
NOI
Your son must be a real klutz. If he were my kid, I'd take him across my knee and whip his butt. Then I'd make him earn $750 to replace the trashed tv.
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 19:05:22 -0500, "Localnet"