TV conversion question? ? ?

Page 2 of 4
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 07:01:06 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

As I said, I wasn't expecting to spoon feed the group. I made an off hand comment indicating that non-digital TV's are readily available at major retailers. That hardly calls for cites or a full deposition under oath.

No one is violating the law. The law only mandates that any TV's MANUFACTURED after the cutoff date have ASTC tuners. Nowhere in the laws does it say you can no longer sell pre-existing NTSC TV's after a certain date.
The retailers are smart to make it very clear that these TV's are not ASTC, but there is no law requiring it.

There is an FCC regulation (with the force of law since it implements the law) that requires notification "As of March 1, 2007, all television receivers shipped in interstate commerce or imported into the United States must contain a digital tuner. In addition, effective May 25, 2007, the Commission required sellers of television receiving equipment that does not include a digital tuner to disclose at the point-of-sale that such devices include only an analog tuner, and therefore will require a digital-to-analog converter box to receive over-the-air broadcast television after the transition date. ****Retailers must inform consumers by prominently displaying the following text if they are selling TV equipment with only an analog tuner: This television receiver has only an analog broadcast tuner and will require a converter box after February 17, 2009, to receive over-the-air broadcasts with an antenna because of the Nations transition to digital broadcasting. Analog-only TVs should continue to work as before with cable and satellite TV services, gaming consoles, VCRs, DVD players, and similar products. For more information, call the Federal Communications Commission at 1-888-225-5322 (TTY: 1-888-835-5322) or visit the Commissions digital television website at: www.dtv.gov. Therefore, after May 25, 2007, all television equipment being sold should contain a digital tuner, or should be identified at the point-of-sale as not having one. Be sure to look for this label if you are purchasing a new TV.

Okay.

Now that is very interesting indeed. It goes a lot farther than what I thought, which was just that new TVs couldn't be manufactured without an ATSC tuner after that March date. Now I find it very hard to believe that this law isn't being violated. How could a retailer like Target be selling them nationwide 2 years later without shipping them interstate? I guess they could be limited to in-state stock, but it's hard to imagine a retail channel with 2 year old consumer product.
I'm going to be near Target later today and will check and see if they have the referenced Truetech TV, which appears to be only a Target house brand and exactly what it says on the box. . Also, without getting anyone all pissed off, if anyone has any other links to TVs being sold without digital tuners, I'd like to see them, because I don't think it's common.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Yes - you just know that them d*mn Republicans were in there trying to protect their big business partners by preventing the poor consumer from knowing they were buying a boat anchor.
Oh. Wait a second...
http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/24/house-republicans-propose-warning-labels-for-analog-tvs /
Let's see - 2007, who was in charge of the House then.... Hmmm.

???

The Republicans were still causing problems in the Congress then.
Conservatives are so damn slow learners.
TMT
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Odd, I could have sworn you said: "Walmart has non-digital sets on their website."
I need glasses.

Walmart has those, too.
On Feb 1, 1:41pm, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

So, once again, would it kill you to provide a link or should we all go looking through the specs of a bunch of TVs? You saw it, you should know which one it is, how hard is it to post the link?
On Sun, 1 Feb 2009 10:55:44 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

I think you should go look for yourself. It will take your mind off of your sniveing and whining about how unfair the world has been to you.
from fcc documents 2008-
it's not illegal, but it can be expensive selling ntsc sets- http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-281444A1.txt
under "Cit" there's a long list of retailers that were given citations for violating the analog set rule - http://www.fcc.gov/Document_Indexes/2007_annual_index.html
2007-
fcc advisory, retailing atsc/ntsc sets, dated may 25 2007 - http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-273967A1.txt
under "Cit" there's a long list of retailers that were given citations for violating the analog set rule - http://www.fcc.gov/Document_Indexes/2007_annual_index.html
under NAL (fines) here's a funny, the FCC couldn't find the radio station's studio.- http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-278367A1.txt
Truly the FCC should of set a drop dead rate for production of sets allowing sales of existing inventory for 2 years and TEN YEARS before turning off analog.......
why hurry it so, if digital is truly so good people would voluntarily migrate.
rather than politicians forcing the issue

Big Business wants our spectrum...I mean their spectrum.
TMT
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Considering the fare on network TV, I suspect "business" can put it to better use.
As I understand it, a big (biggest?) hunk goes for governmental use - emergency responders and the like. A goodly portion does go to folks like Verizon - emailing camera phone snaps of dogs humping uses a lot of bandwidth.

I understand most went to verizon for added cell phone use
all parties involved should disclose exactly who bought the spectrum, whats its future use will be, its develpoment schedule, and dollars involved.
it was public use spectrum, the public should be fully informed.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

It's posted daily on the http://wireless.fcc.gov/ page- look for 700 MHz licenses. The public service issue was a smoke screen to get the auctions approved. I think you will find pubsvc licenses will be a small part of the bandwidth. mobile/portable video and wifi broadband will be a hugh revenue stream for the private sector.
recent licenses- http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-08-2824A1.pdf
I. INTRODUCTION 1. In this Order, we review the above-referenced Auction 73 Form 601 application of AT&T Mobility Spectrum, LLC (“AT&T Mobility”) and find that the public interest would be served if the application is granted. We therefore direct the Mobility Division of the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau (“Bureau”) to process the application consistent with this Order and the Commission’s rules. II. BACKGROUND A. Auction 73 2. Auction 73 offered 1,099 licenses in the 700 MHz band, involving a total of 62 megahertz located in the 698-806 MHz spectrum. The 700 MHz band licenses may be used for flexible fixed, mobile, and broadcast uses, including fixed and mobile wireless commercial services; fixed and mobile wireless uses for private, internal radio needs; and mobile and other digital new broadcast operations. These uses may include two-way interactive, cellular, and mobile television broadcasting services. The licenses offered in Auction 73 included: 176 Economic Area (“EA”) licenses (12 megahertz each) in the A Block; 734 Cellular Market Area (“CMA”) licenses (12 megahertz each) in the B Block; 176 EA licenses (6 megahertz each) in the E Block; 12 Regional Economic Area Grouping (“REAG”) licenses (22 megahertz each) in the C Block; and one nationwide license of 10 megahertz, to be used as part of the 700 MHz Public/Private Partnership, in the D Block.
or
11/26/2008 PUBLIC NOTICE (DA 08-2572) WTB Grants 700 MHz Band Licenses pdf - Word Attachment A: pdf - xls Attachment A1: pdf - xls Attachment B: pdf - Word Attachment C: pdf - Word Attachment D: pdf - Word
a few solar panels on the roof and you can be totally free of all grids. everything will be wireless to your house ;-)
-- larry / dallas
On Feb 1, 12:55pm, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

People who refuse to offer links especially after being asked nicely are just lazy SOBs.
Ignore him.
TMT

<http://www.target.com/Trutech-13-SD-Tuner-TV/dp/B000OV4MMM/qid 33498508/ref=br_1_3/190-2329741-3462237?ie=UTF8&node464311&frombrowse=1&index=tgt-mf-mv&rank=price&rh=&page=1>
Yes, when someone states Wal Mart, we don't usually hunt at the Target web site.

My comment was a reply to someone who hysterically claimed that NO ONE could still be selling non-astc televisions. "Walmart" was used generically, to mean "even major retailers". I didn't anticiopate that folks here were so feeble that they couldn't find examples on their own if they were befuddled by what I said.