TV Camera Used in Septic System

How and where is a TV camera useful when troubleshooting a septic system?
I cannot imagine that the TV camera will see anything once it is in water.
Anybody have direct experience with the use of a TV camera in this application ?
Vince wrote:

We used it on sewer. It's common in our area, in response to many old pipes. Picture was o.k. TB

You blew an opportunity.
Picture was o.k. <== should have been worded ==> Picture was not shitty.
Used it to look for cracks. Must have a built in light.

I've had the good doctor in "my sewer system", but never with a TV camera. Think small .. like fiber optics; it won't hurt and now you can sleep through it. -- Oren

It's called a boroscope and they are used to run through pipes and such looking for clogs, cracks, anomalies, etc. I'd imagine they all have some sort of lighting system. Surprisingly, you can see pretty well with them although I've never seen one used for a septic. If your septic is working as it should, then you should have a layer of pretty clear water sandwiched between muck and floating muck (highly technical terms :) ). They are not cheap. Cheers, cc
James \\"Cubby\\" Culbertson wrote:

Harbor Freight is selling a pipeline camera setup for something like $600 which while not "cheap", is a lot less that anything else on the market.
I've thrown together a similar setup a couple of times for my own needs from a waterproof mini cam with integral lighting stuck on the end of my electrical fish tape. It worked pretty well for my uses, if I needed one regularly the HF one would probably be high on my list.
Pete C.
That's where they get political pictures.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.