TV Antenna Mounting

I own a two story building with a flat roof. I would like to put a TV antenna on the roof. Even though I have two chimneys, my next door neighbor's 3 story building would block reception to an antenna mounted on either of the two chimneys. His building is about 6 to 7 feet taller than my chimney and only 3 and a half feet away from the chimney. I do seem to have a non-used vent pipe towards the back of the building in the middle of the roof (right by the trap door that leads from the 2nd story porch to the roof). The vent pipe is 2" in diameter and sticks about 9 inches off of the roof. The top is covered in tar. There is also no plumbing underneath this vent pipe. The pipe does not seem to move when I push on it. Is it safe to mount to such a pipe, or can it cause damage to my roof? Or are there other alternative mounting areas. I don't really want to mount to the side of the building.

Thanks

Reply to
balboni

DO NOT mount it on the vent pipe! Put a mast on the antenna, maybe with a rotator. Then mount the mast on the chomney if it is strong enough. If that won't work, you can get a tripod mount that woll go in the middle of the roof. Get a roofer to fasten it in place for you. The mast on the tripod should be long enough to get it above your neighbor's building. Then you will get as good of a signal as possible.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

There is more to it besides adding a tripod and a tall mast.

A tall mast will require guy wires Any antenna installation will require grounding.

You also have to consider if it ever falls down could it hit any power cables.

Do not mount to the flue pipe.

If your chimney is sturdy you can mount it there however smoke can corrode some metals. Steve

Reply to
Steve Stone

The height of the mast and size/weight of the antenna determine whether mounting to a vent pipe will work. Can you determine how well the vent pipe is anchored to wood below the roof? Stick a piece of pipe or wood in the vent and see if you can rock it or jiggle it. You say there is no plumbing under the vent pipe; presumably you can see how well anchored the pipe is.

It sounds like a 10 foot mast attached to the chimney would also work well.

Reply to
Bennett Price

Unfortunately, the top of the pipe is covered up. It is a 95 year old building, so placing an antenna on the roof is, presumably, not a new problem. I suspect that this pipe may have been placed there specifically for mounting an antenna. Again, there is no plumbing within 20 feet of this pipe.

Reply to
balboni