Turning off water main: shutdown water heater first?

I want to turn off my water main to repair an outside faucet. Do I have to shutdown the water heater first? And after I turn the water back on, do I have to do something to "reboot" the water heater?

Reply to
james

No need to shutdown the water heater, as long as your not draining it. Most times when you shut off the water main, water will remain in the HW heater tank.

Reply to
Mikepier

No need to turn off the WH.

Just turn off the main and open as many faucets as you need to drain the system so you don't get the system full of water draining out of the one fixture you're working on.

As long as you are fixing the spigot, why not install a shut off for it so you don't have to turn off the whole house next time - or even in the winter?

One more tip: when you turn the main back on, turn it on full and then close it about an 1/4 turn - assmuning it's a compression style with a rotary handle. This gives you room to "play" if the main freezes up due to corrosion in the future. If you open it all the way against the stop, you won't have any "wiggle room" if it gets stuck.

This tip holds true for all compression style shut-offs, but is not (typically) a concern for ball valves.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

james wrote the following:

After you repair what is wrong with the outside faucet, put a shutoff valve in the line so you don't have to shut down the whole house next time. Unless there is a shutoff valve there already and you can't find it. I have multiple shut off valves for everything that dispenses water in the house. Besides the ones under the sinks, bath, shower, toilets, or outside faucets, I have separate shut off valves in the source lines in the basement. If I have to remove the water softener, I have shutoff and bypass valves going into and out off the water softener, so the rest of the house does not have to do without water. It's similar to the the breaker box. You don't have to shut off the main breaker to repair an outlet, fixture, or switch.

Reply to
willshak

outside faucet. Do I

re: "After you repair what is wrong with the outside faucet, put a shutoff valve in the line..."

Why can't he put the shutoff valve in first? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

To "reboot" instal the CD that came with it.

Reply to
ransley

Oh no...now he'll be posting back asking where he can download the activation key.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You should turn off the heater. Under normal circumstances, the water stays in the tank and is not a problem. But what about abnormal circumstances? Like you get distracted, or hurt...and the tank drains.

It takes two seconds to flip the switch to off. Why not take the precaution???

And that goes for any kind of repair. Don't skip simple steps that make the process safer or less vulnerable to screw-ups.

And before the villages light the torches to come after me, let me say... The fact that the statistical probability of having a problem is near zero is small comfort when it actually happens to you.

And after I turn the water back on,

no, but read the manual if you're unsure.

Reply to
mike

=3D=3D In addition to all of the other posting in reply, if you have a hot water tank heated by NG, you can just turn the control to PILOT for the time being while doing the repair. After the repair , just turn it back to the original setting. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

Most WH manufacturers have the software as a free download.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Most WH, the serial number is the activation key.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What Roy was going to write, also. The white knob on top of the gas valve turns to pilot. Don't have to adjust the black knob on the side of the controls.

For electric WH, look in your panel box for a double 30 breaker.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The others have written much what I would have written.

It is a good idea to shut off the WH, though it's likely not a problem. Unlikely to need any reboot. Small chance that a gas WH pilot light may blow out. The provided software disk will help with rebooting. Insert disk before powering up.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You made it worthwhile booting up my computer today. Thanks for an excellent tip.

Nonny

Reply to
Nonny

Only if the water heater is made by Microsoft.

Reply to
Jack Hammer

Hi, That is funny, our outside faucets are frost proof ones and each one has individual shut off inside. Don't need to shut off the main valve. Leave the water heater alone.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I was told it's full open minus half turn. So the next guy, if he turns it the wrong way. It will turn "some" so that he knows it's not a corroded and frozen valve stem. Then he will (maybe) figure out to turn it the other way.

Works on globe, gate, and angle valves. Ball valves don't have a half turn of play to work with.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

We don't need no education! We don't need no shut off valve!

Hey! Plumber! Leave them pipes alone!

an old song.)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like a well planned system.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

outside faucet. Do I

I debated about that, but "before you repair the faucet, put a shutoff valve in the line" just 'sounded' a little clumsy, although feasible. :-)

Reply to
willshak