Turning off water - leaving heater on

I've got a rental house which is vacant right now. Seeing that it's winter I'd like to turn off the water at the street to help insure the pipes don't freeze and bust. Is it OK to leave the gas water heater on? I'd rather not turn off the gas if there is no problem leaving the heater on and the water off for a period of a few weeks. Thanks.
mad NATer wrote:

Big potential problem. Just turn the heater off, most will allow you to turn off the main heater without turning off the pilot.
I might suggest that if you are worried about pipes freezing, you need to also drain the pipes, and the hot water heater that has a lot of water in it. Don't even consider draining the hot water heater without turning off the gas to it.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
There was a long, helpful discussion about this last week. Look for the subject line "Can water be turned off to hot water heater", dated 1/14/2005. If you can't spot the subject, sort your messages by date and you'll see it.