turning off water?

Every time we leave the house for a few weeks, I have visions of coming back to a house that has been flooded from either a burst water heater or two (in the attic) or burst pipes from a freeze.
As a precaution,I have considered turning off the water at the outside shut-off and draining the pipes inside by opening the faucets.
What disasters lurk in this procedure? Can I just return home, turn on the water and sputter the air out of the pipes, or is there some fundamental embuggerance that I am overlooking? Will this require re-lighting the gas in the water heater?
Bubba wrote:

You can turn the water heater down to pilot.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

back
(in
the
Turn off the water at your main shut off. Open a faucet, the lowest in the system is preferable, to relieve the pressure and drain off some water. Turn off your hot water heater by shutting of the gas. Yes, there is some sputtering in the water line when you first open the main valve and open some faucets but no big deal. It takes nothing to relight the hot water pilot. This is the safest way to leave your house for any extended period of time. I do it even for over nights. Cold weather (below freezing temps) protection requires a bit more things to do. MLD
Bubba wrote:

One additional thing. Remember that toilets and drains hold water, if the temp really drops they will freeze and may be damaged. Also any liquids in the frig or out like pop, can also freeze and damage things.
Just how far you want to go depends on how paranoid you are. If the worse happens, I am sure you will be happy you were what I might call paranoid. My insurance company might call it prudent. :-)
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Greetings,
a) Do everything everyone else said. You will also need to put RV anti-freeze in the toilet / sink traps if you are worried about them. b) If you want the 80/20 solution just turn off the water valve and reduce the water heater to pilot.
Hope this helps, William

liquids
William Deans wrote:

And don't forget food. Things like caned food can freeze as well. A few frozen can's of pop can make a real mess.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Is this safe to do if you have a well and a septic tank??