Turning off HW heater while on vacation, lower T-stat or just leave pilot on?

Page 2 of 2

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 08:24:25 -0700 (PDT), Mikepier

Unless you need water pressure for sprinklers, turn OFF your water main, turn OFF the gas, turn OFF the water heater. When you turn your heater back on, follow the directions on the tank, it's usually quite easy.

Its only a week the tank wont cool to room temp for maybe 3 days, id just turn it down. Be sure to turn off the water incomming main incase a pipe breaks, that can ruin a house in days. I used to leave for 3-4 days and turn off my tank, it was electric and still had maybe 80f water after many days. 140f costs alot more money than 120, I only heat my tank to what is needed for a hot water only shower.
Mikepier wrote:

Just put it on pilot. Mine's a power vent , and i just shut it off when we leave for more than 24 hours. 'Course the water gets shut off also.