turning off furnace?

Hi...
My wife says the basement is getting to hot in a heatwave, so she wants to turn off the furnace using the emergency switch on the first floor. Personally, I don't know what the negative consequences could be for just shutting the furnace off, but I have an aversion to pushing red buttons.
It seems that the water heater could then start calling for heat and not get it (not sure what the negative consequence would be). Seems like it might have problems getting restarted. Other than that I'm not sure why turning the furnace off in the summer is a bad idea.
Anyone have any better rebuttals?
Thanks -mark
Mark Modrall wrote:

I don't think it matters. Mine is on all summer and I just turn back the thermostats and it never cuts in. The furnace kicks in once in awhile for hot tap water. I have an emergency switch on the main floor as I am in a flood zone and in case the basement fills (fingers crossed) i don't have to get my feet wet to kill the furnace.
Try turning down your aquastat. Maybe that will prevent the boiler from saying on longer to heat the hot water.
I shut off the gas to my furnace in summer. Why keep a pilot light burning to waste gas and add unwanted heat.
Mark

He really does not have a furnace, but a boiler that also heats his hot water. Difference scenario.

The tiny bit of heat creates a small draft. And that helps keep the furnace from rusting out, with moisture and still air.
--

Christopher A. Young
Do good work.

Yes. wear and tear on the heater.
If you were to turn it off and leave it off for a couple of weeks, that would be good. Save energy, keeps the basement cooler. Not so on a daily basis.
If you turn it off after you shower, then turn it back on the next day, the heater components are constantly expanding and contracting with the temperature changes. This is not so good and it can cause premature wearing out and from the stresses.
I'm licensed to operate high pressure boilers. We usually run them at 125 psi or about 335 degrees. At night they are cut back to 5 psi and also kept that way over the weekend.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/