Turning Down Thermostat. Is it Worth it?

OK,

Which is better:

  1. Turn down thermostat to 65 degrees, while my family is not at home all day, and then have it come on (I have an timer on my thermostat) about an hour before we get home to heat the house to 70 degrees.

  1. Turn down thermostat to 55 degrees, while my family is not at home all day, and then have it come on (I have an timer on my thermostat) about an hour and a half before we get home to heat the house to 70 degrees.

Which scenario would save more dollars?

Thanks

Reply to
crazysounds

It depends. If during this shutdown period it never gets down to 65 degrees, they would both yield the same savings. It also depends on your recovery rate. This shouldn't affect savings, but if it takes two hours to bring the house up to temp, you may want to have it come on sooner.

But in my experience, it shouldn't take more than an hour in either case.

--Mike

Reply to
Mike Fritz

depending on how long you are gone probably 55

here is a story that brings up good points about usage

story here mentions 55

Reply to
wayne

I turn it all the way down if my house is going to be empty for more than an hour and keep it no higher than 65 when we are home.

Reply to
elmo

It should not take 1.5 hrs to raise the temperature 15 degrees, unless your furnace is underpowered. It is also a good idea to turn the temperature down at bedtime.

Reply to
Phisherman

I actually never timed how long it takes to bring my house up to temperature I was just estimating. I have a large colonial that is not well insulated. I have insulated the attics and did what I could. My scenario is on a typical winter day in the Northeast when temps are around 20-30 degrees. It seems like the best method, to save fuel, is to turn down the thermostat while we are not at home. I just filled my tank and paid over 150.00 a gallon for heating oil. Two years ago I was paying 50-60 cents a gallon. So that is why I so interested in saving fuel. I installed a new Reillo retention head too. It runs much cleaner then my old Beckett but I didn't see a savings last year when it was installed. My furnace is 30 years old but is cast iron is works well. I don't want to spend 5,000 for a new furnace to be installed. A new unit is maybe 10-15% more efficient.

Reply to
crazysounds