Turning carpet on stairs

Our stairs from the living area to the bedrooms are carpeted, with an extra fold of carpet turned up under the carpet in front of the risers. We were told that this was done so the carpet could be "turned" as it wore.

I am ready to try this, has anyone any first-hand experience doing this, what should I watch out for in terms of frequently encountered goofs?

Reply to
hrhofmann

There is a tack strip where the tread meets the riser, it holds the non-folded end of the carpet. The folded end appears to be tacked along the sides and middle of the bottom, into the riser.

Reply to
hrhofmann

So that you can turn it around so that the previously-folded piece is now on the tread , and the worn area is now folded under . Carefully pull the tacks/staples that hold the carpet to the riser on one step , comfirm that there is enough to reverse it , should be pretty straight-forward . Rent or borrow a knee kicker if you don't own one - and some knee pads . You'll probably find the sides tacked too , unless the carpet touches wall/trim on both sides . Probably a good idea to replace the pad as you go , it plays an important part in how fast the carpet wears .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

RE: "The carpet on the stairs should be one piece -- bottom to top. Carpet on the sides are tucked in behind tack strip. Hard to see yours from my house. "Folded" confuses me".

My carpet is individual pieces for the stair tread and the riser immediately below the tread. There is a tack strip where each tread meets the bottom of the riser above it.

I have seen the one-piece top to bottom carpeted stairs, but that is NOT what we have.

Reply to
hrhofmann

SNAG Wrote: "So that you can turn it around so that the previously-folded piece is now on the tread , and the worn area is now folded under . Carefully pull the tacks/staples that hold the carpet to the riser on one step , confirm that there is enough to reverse it , should be pretty straight-forward . Rent or borrow a knee kicker if you don't own one - and some knee pads . You'll probably find the sides tacked too , unless the carpet touches wall/trim on both sides . Probably a good idea to replace the pad as you go , it plays an important part in how fast the carpet wears".

Thanks for the words, I had not even considered there might be a pad below the stair tread portion of the carpet. I'll make sure to have a source of padding available before I start a major tear-out.

Reply to
hrhofmann

"waterfall" style is usually one piece - but CAN be pieced together as well. The "fitted" style is usually pieced together, but CAN be done in several longer sections as well. Our upstairs stairway was waterfalled - in 4 pieces and was replaced in a "fitted" style in 5 or

6 pieces - and our basement stairs are "fitted" in 2 or 3 pieces.
Reply to
clare