Turning Brake Rotors

Page 1 of 2
I took my car in for some brake work. The mechanic said I needed new pads, which would cost $235. I told him that was fine and to do the job. A few hours later he calls me and tells me I need to get my rotors turned at a cost of $59 each. I declined.
What a stupid way to suck more money out of a customer. Everytime I drive my car the rotors are turning. And this moron thinks he can get another $120 out of me for doing something my car already does all by itself.
babycakes wrote:

Troll-0-Meter (C) (R) No Reaction --> 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 <-- Screaming at the Monitor ^ 1.5 out of 10. Better luck next time.
--
Tony Sivori
On Fri, 01 Jul 2011 06:16:33 -0500, babycakes wrote:

I bought new ceramic pads (all four wheels) and new rotors (4) from Autozone with a 4 year warranty for just under $275. Did the work myself, not that hard having a lot of prior mechanic experience. $235 FOR JUST PADS is a ripoff. And additional $59 per rotor turn is equally a rip off. That's $500 friggin dollar for a brake job and not replacing the rotors but turning them. Did the mechanic wear a mask and carry a gun?
On 7/1/2011 5:50 PM, A. Baum wrote:

after reading this morons second paragraph again, i realize we are talking troll here.
--
Steve Barker
On 07/01/11 6:50 PM, A. Baum wrote:

A few years ago I went to AutoZone to get parts to do a brake job on a Taurus. The counter guy suggested I borrow the caliber compression tool since the calipers on the Taurus need to be "screwed in", not just compressed. I had never run into that before.
It was a free loaner unless you kept it for 30 days. After that they put $35 on your charge card and you own it. The kit was brand new and worked so well that I kept it.
http://tinyurl.com/CaliperCompressionTool
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/grn/27111/image/4 /
I don't know if the price has gone up since then, but it's listed on their website for $60 now.
No more fumbling with c-clamps for "normal" calipers and there's a set of adapters for just about every sized caliber that needs to be screwed in.
Well worth the $35 that I paid for it.
I bought new ceramic pads (all four wheels) and new rotors (4) from Autozone with a 4 year warranty for just under $275. Did the work myself, not that hard having a lot of prior mechanic experience. $235 FOR JUST PADS is a ripoff. And additional $59 per rotor turn is equally a rip off. That's $500 friggin dollar for a brake job and not replacing the rotors but turning them. Did the mechanic wear a mask and carry a gun?
-------------------------
Hyundai Canada wanted to charge me $900, yes seriously, $900 to replace all pads and rotors on my 2009 Sonata. I phoned 3 dealers that I could get too to get quotes. Highest was Milton Hyundai, Milton Ontario at $935. The service manager actually told me that price with a smile. Lowest was $870 at a brand new dealer near my work that last year was a Pontiac dealer.
As it turns out I had severe problems with my rear rotors and pads (Hyundai should issue a recall but they didn't) but the front ones are only 35% worn so I paid $340 to have new rear pads and new rear rotors and emergency brake work done, installed at a National Auto repair company.
Ironically they had to get the OEM pads sent in by couier at 7 pm at nite from Milton Hyundai dealer at a cost of $91.38 (which was included in the price of $340.00)
Myself I did a brake job once on a junky car in my teen years and would like to do it again but my wife won't let me.
On 07/04/11 7:23 PM, The Henchman wrote:

Don't get me started on dealer pricing and shops that only buy parts from the manufacturer.
My wife's '05 Taurus (>100K miles) needs the front "Y" pipe that consists of 2 catalytic converters.
The shop my wife took it to quoted her "About $2200. The part itself is $1900."
I kid you not, here's the link from http://www.fordparts.com/ where the part is listed for $1923.08.
http://tinyurl.com/FordCatConv
http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=ax0KgJ9vPgEXNzNm0%2bbmxw%3d%3d&id 0554023&m=2&search=true&year 05&make=Ford&model=Taurus
I then took it to a shop that my son uses.
He had me buy the part from Eastern Catalytic for $290, with a 5 year warranty. If I pay him cash, he'll put it in for under $200. Apparently you have to pull an axle, something I don't want to attempt.
The cat is in my garage...I'll be taking it to him next week.
He had me buy the part from Eastern Catalytic for $290, with a 5 year warranty. If I pay him cash, he'll put it in for under $200. Apparently you have to pull an axle, something I don't want to attempt.
-------------------
My co-worker had a 2004 or maybe 03 V6 Taurus that needed the engine dis-mounted, to change to rear bank of spark plugs.
He once told me of a three day adventure to change a heater core on a 1990 Gran Marquis or Crown Vic that took 30 minutes on a Chev Celebrity the year before or year after, done by him. He used to turn down his own brake rotors to save a few bucks.
BTW my wife has a very similar problem to yours. Cracked exhaust manifold on a 2003 civic that ins't a problem per se except it could fail an emissions test in Ontario rendering the vehicle environmentally unsafe. The issue is Honda built the catalytic converter into the manifold so that it's all one piece. $1300 job at the dealer they say. People don't wanna weld it, already asked.

Yup. My wife's '00 Sable's exhaust system rotted out last Winter. It was a salt car for eight of those years, so it wasn't surprising. The dealer told us it would be over $2000. We went to a local shop, who had a different story. It was only shot from the converter back; $250 out-the-door. Another time they wanted $3000 for a gas tank. I had one put in for $450 ($400 labor and $50 for a junker). The place that did those two jobs now gets all our work. With two >10YO vehicles it's not infrequent.
On 07/04/11 9:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

re: "It was only shot from the converter back"
The next question is: Which converter? ;-)
If I'm not mistaken, the 00 - 07 Sable and Taurus have basically the same setup. A cat attached to each exhaust manifold and then another in the "main" pipe under the center of the car, for a total of 3 cats.
Here's the fun part: The big cat under the car is not monitored for emissions. In fact, it's not monitored at all. So it's very possible for the innards of that cat to break apart so that the cat gets clogged up enough to cause so much back pressure that the hot exhaust gases burn holes through the aluminum intake manifold on top of the engine. DAMHIKT

Same car, so I doubt that you're mistaken. ;-) I don't even crawl under cars anymore so I don't know for sure but given what you say, my assumption would be the rear-most cat. $250 doesn't buy much anymore, even from the cheapest garage.

little early.

I had front pads only replaced for $100. At 50000 miles. Rotors were OK. What firm did you go to? WW
On Jul 1, 6:16am, snipped-for-privacy@ballroom.com wrote:

Anytime I have had a brake job I made sure we included rotor turning in the quote and job. It is part of the process which if not done might work out OK, or might end up in surging brakes.
Chalk this one up to lessons learned and remember to get a quote that includes rotor turning (surfacing) next time.
And yes, the price sounds high.
RonB
Steve Barker wrote:

You do realize that you are replying to a troll, right?
Jon
On 7/1/2011 8:10 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:

yes, and i stated that.
(a day ago)
--
Steve Barker

Impact drivers were made for this, also. A couple of taps with a hammer is sufficient. But you knew that.
Steve

Where are you getting rotors resurfaced for "zero"?

I just took the (ventilated) front rotors from my wife's Saturn to be machined last week. The man at the counter asked me if I wouldn't rather buy new ones for fifteen dollars and fifty-two cents each.

I'm sure the people who wrote the factory service manual for that Saturn would be surprised to hear that -- the manual gives specifications for resurfacing both the ventilated front rotors, and the solid rear rotors.
The "around here" you referenced in your first sentence is evidently a fantasy world of your own construction.
On 7/2/2011 9:45 AM, Doug Miller wrote:

Nope, just real world everyday experiences. The napa charges most people $16 to resurface already off the vehicle rotors. I do them myself at the store for nothing.
--
Steve Barker

Ahh, so the "going rate" isn't actually as low as zero to get your rotors turned -- you're doing the work yourself.
So that claim was false too.
On 7/2/2011 9:13 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

No, it is just that some places include that in the brake job price. As it should be.
--
Steve Barker